Chippewa County, Great Gray Owls, 1 Dec

Caleb Putnam larus10 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 21:35:21 EST 2004

Listers-

(emailing from Sault Ste. Marie).
Great Gray Owls continue on Neebish Island in Chippewa County.  Erich
Peterson, Jeff Johnson, and I had 2 birds today, 1 Dec 04, both on Brander
Rd between 16 mile and 17 mile, and both moving around a bit.  I trust that
everyone reading this email will keep the owls' best interests in mind if
coming to view them (i.e. please keep a distance!).  We checked many of the
roads south and east of the Soo (e.g. 15 mile, 12 mile, 11 mile, 10 mile, 9
mile, 7 mile, shunk, etc) but found no owls there.

Other birds seen today:
Sharp-Tailed Grouse: 6+ @ 9 mile and Nicolet Rd.
Pine Grosbeak- 5 @ 9 mile and Nicolet Rd.
Northern Shrike- 3 at various locations.

We'll be here for another day and a half, and will update the list with
anything else of interest we find.

Good Birding,
Caleb Putnam

Caleb G Putnam