Long-billed Dowitcher (probable), Muskegon Wastewater, 19 Apr 2009

Caleb Putnam larus10 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 20 14:30:32 EDT 2009

Birders-

I surveyed the Muskegon Wastewater Complex yesterday, 19 April 2009, and had a lone transitional dowitcher which I believe to be a Long-billed (did not hear it call, but plumage plus feedback I've solicited supports the ID). Also had the season's first Upland Sandpipers, and a continuing flock of Lapland Longspurs in beautiful breeding plumage (w. side of Swanson halfway between M-46 and Laketon). Finally, there is an apparently melanistic Ruddy Duck there as well (north edge of east lagoon), the third report of this plumage at this location in recent years.

My eBird trip report is below, and photos of the dowitcher and Ruddy Duck are at the Muskegon County Nature club website:

http://members.tm.net/mcnc/Recent%20Sightings/Recent%20Sightings.htm

Good Birding,
Caleb Putnam

Caleb G Putnam