Fw: [birders] Re: off topic - another feeder question

Russell Emmons birdeland at pasty.net
Tue Nov 11 21:31:52 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: Russell Emmons
To: birders at umich.edu
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 9:18 PM
Subject: [birders] Re: off topic - another feeder question

Interesting you posted this as we are experiencing about the same. I can't answer your question but I do know this time of year where natural foods are available in good numbers the birds usually prefer those.. On the other hand today we made a round trip at the south end of this county from New Baltimore around Anchor Bay, Algonac State Park, The St. Clair River etc. the sightings were very slim. We found wild berrys of all sorts everywhere but nary a bird on them. Not even many Starlings about. Plenty of Mourning Doves, and Blue Jays seemed the bird of the day everywhere being highly competitive and bulllying anything that did appear. Along the water and in the St. Johns Marsh we found only a group of about 65 Buffleheads, a few Mallards, dozens of Canada Geese, Ring Billed Gulls in good numbers but no other gull species. At the back of the Marsh we did find a few Tree Sparrows and a notable lone RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET,  3 American Kestrels, and only 1 Red-Tailed Hawk. Arriving home where we have many and varied feeders with varied offers which I do keep filled, we found only our very basic skeleton crew of visitors at the feeders which has been the case most of the fall. Notable though 3 GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLETS were in the yard!  Right about the usual time they arrive here in the fall.
    Yesterday about 55 TUNDRA SWANS flew over our house heading SE.

      It continues to frustrate me as to why some areas around the state have varied species both in the field and at feeders, whereas others with perfectly good habitat and food have little species variety and low numbers of birds present usually.

Russ Emmons, Casco Twp. St. Clair county