Finding Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow in MI (no sightings)

Caleb Putnam larus10 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 00:10:11 EDT 2007

Birders-

Given that we are now entering the beginning of the fall migration window
for the (apparently) very rare Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow, I thought I'd
reinvigorate a discussion which took place most recently in 2004 regarding
the true occurrence and status of this species in Michigan.  I have created
a preliminary blog entry with links to detailed posts from Allen Chartier
and others, and I have also added my 2 cents to the fray:

http://www.aviantendencies.blogspot.com/

I am going to try to find this species at key wet, sedgy marshes/meadows
during its peak window of approximately Sep 25- Oct 5, and it'd be neat if
others were able to make similar efforts elsewhere.  Given the breeding
distribution (northern Great plains and a disjunct Hudson Bay population)
the most likely areas may be the SW lower peninsula and the SE lower
peninsula, but perhaps even places like Houghton Lake Flats or Portage Marsh
are worth some effort (Arcadia Marsh has at least 2 records, I believe).
I'd guess that any place which seems appropriate for migrant Yellow Rails
might be a good place to start.

Comments on any of the material I've assembled are very welcome- I may be
dead wrong on this whole thing, but it will be fun to try to find out
nonetheless!

Good Birding,
Caleb Putnam

Caleb G Putnam