Ivory Gull & Others at Hillman Marsh worth the trip

Ron.Mccullick@dana.com Ron.Mccullick at dana.com
Thu Jan 12 11:58:34 EST 2006

For anyone contemplating at trip to Hillman Marsh by Point Pelee to chase
the Ivory Gull; it is a great bird and worth the trip by itself, however
it is not the only reason to make the trip. There are currently thousands
of gulls in the area. We estimated about 6 to 7 thousand on the marsh at
one time and thousands more out on Lake Erie at the ice edge.  Most are
Ring-bills and Herring, but it is a great chance to learn gull
identification skills and/or brush up on the variations in gulls.  I had
10 gull species on Tuesday.  Here are my observations: counts are based on
birds seen at the same time, or with enough variation to determine it was
definitely a different bird.  By no means do I claim to be an expert, and
I am not counting any maybes? and with that many birds, I am sure I missed
some  too.

1) Ring-billed - 6 thousand?
2) Herring - several hundred?
3) Great Black-backed - 100+
4) Bonaparte's - 4 surprisingly easy to miss with that many Ring-bills
5) Lesser Black-backed - 4 early in the day:  2 adults, 2 juvenile; but
only one adult seemed to hand around all day
6) Thayer's - 1 adult, 1 immature. The adult appeared to hang around all
day, but was difficult to pick out of the 100s of Herrings.
7) Iceland - 1 immature - easy to see all day long
8) Glaucous Gull - 1 immature, seemed to come and go through out the day
9) California - 1 3rd year - I only saw it once for around a 1/2 hour just
before noon
10) Ivory - 1 1st year  - late in the day, bedded down Tuesday night
between clumps of grass on the island in the middle of the marsh.

Plus more Ring-bills with a pinkish tinge than I am used to seeing

Other birds noted at the Marsh:
The expected sparrows, juncos, hawks, etc. the ones I found interesting
were:
Male Pheasant
Adult Bald Eagle
Marsh Harriers - male and female
3 Great Horned Owls - taking turns calling before sunrise

Off the North beach -  the usual diving ducks and Mergansers one would
expect on Lake Erie this time of year

Good luck if you decide to make a day of it this weekend!

Ron McCullick
Rochester Hills MI

This e-mail, and any attachments, is intended solely for use by the
addressee(s) named above.  It may contain the confidential or
proprietary information of Dana Corporation, its subsidiaries,
affiliates or business partners.  If you are not the intended recipient
of this e-mail or are an unauthorized recipient of the information, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying
of this e-mail or any attachments, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender
by reply e-mail and permanently delete the original and any copies
or printouts.

Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the
presence of viruses. Dana Corporation accepts no liability for any
damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

English, Francais, Espanol, Deutsch, Italiano, Portugues:
http://www.dana.com/overview/EmailDisclaimer.shtm