Migrant swarms

Ric Pedler rpedler at tm.net
Tue Nov 8 07:49:34 EST 2005

Russell Emmons wrote:

> I don't think I have ever seen so many
> birds at one time of any species as this "wave"! I'm not experienced at
> counting or estimating huge numbers of birds quickly, but if an
> experienced birder more then I would have told me 50,000 birds total
> then, it would be believeable to me.

- - -

Mich-Chatters:

Russ's account reminded me of a morning about fifteen years ago when my
son Andy and I witnessed one of those mixed blackbird/etc. flocks flying by.

The birds were flying in one direction, no circling involved unless it
was beyond the horizons, just above treetop level at the Muskegon State
Game Area.  We did not attempt to count them.  But we did "time" them.
The birds continued to fly by for 35 minutes!  I'd hate to do the
math.  As Russ said, what an amazing thing to observe!

- Ric

--
- - - - - - - - - - - \/ - - KEEP LOOKING UP! - - - - \/ - -
Ric Pedler
rpedler at tm.net