AR-News: 1,260 miles and 15 months later, family pet is found

jim robertson wolfcrest at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 3 13:26:37 EDT 2004

1,260 miles and 15 months later, family pet is found

By VANESSA HO
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

KENT -- The last time Peggy Russell saw her family dog, Dharma, the black
lab mix was playing in the back yard. But when Russell came home that night,
the lock to the yard had been cut, and Dharma was gone.

Her family desperately searched the streets and canyons near their San Diego
home. They made daily visits to the animal shelters. They posted fliers and
eyed every big black dog they saw.

But two weeks ago -- 15 months after she disappeared -- Dharma showed up at
the front counter of the King County Animal Services' shelter in Kent, some
1,260 miles away. Someone found her wandering in Federal Way, with a leash
attached to her collar. A microchip in her back made it possible for local
authorities to contact the Russell family.

"I'm thrilled," said Russell, a 47-year-old nurse and paralegal. "My son is
over the moon. My husband can't stop laughing." Yesterday, after getting a
health certificate, Dharma was scheduled to board a flight and go home.

"I have no idea how she got from here to there," Russell said. "I keep
thinking, what am I going to say to her? 'Where have you been? Who's been
taking care of you? What have you been doing for 15 months?' "

Karen DePew, a stay-at-home mom in Federal Way, was driving her 15-year-old
daughter, Lauren, home around 11:30 p.m. when they saw Dharma running down
Dash Point Road near their house.

"We're thinking, 'Oh my gosh, this is odd.' We opened the door, and the dog
jumps in the car," DePew said. After searching the neighborhood for an
owner, DePew brought the dog home. The thin dog reeked and had fleas and a
rash -- but she was affectionate and well-behaved.

DePew had her own dog and left Dharma in her unfenced front yard. She
figured the stray lived in the neighborhood and would walk home on her own.

But Dharma was there the next morning. DePew and her daughter fed and bathed
her and searched for "lost dog" signs in the neighborhood. They took her to
the vet, who didn't find the microchip, but urged DePew to take her to the
pound.

In the three days at DePew's home, Dharma often accompanied Lauren to the
school bus stop, walked back to the house and waited for the girl's return.

"We knew it was a good dog," DePew said. "You could tell somebody had worked
with it." She brought the dog to the shelter on June 18, thinking she would
adopt her if no one came forward. But the microchip was discovered in the
dog's back, revealing Russell as the owner.

"This obviously shows the value of pet identification," said Al Dams, an
administrator for King County Animal Services, which saw 12,700 animals at
its Kent and Bellevue shelters last year. Of those, 1,800 were reunited with
owners, 4,450 were adopted, 5,940 were euthanized and 500 were dead on
arrival.

For Dharma's homecoming, the shelter bathed and groomed her, took her to the
vet and drove her to the airport. Russell said she can't thank the staff --
and DePew -- enough.

"I'm really grateful, obviously," Russell said. "Just last week, I thought,
'I wonder where she is?' "

P-I reporter Vanessa Ho can be reached at 206-448-8003 or
vanessaho at seattlepi.com

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/180678_dog03.html

So many gods, so many creeds,so many paths that wind and wind, while just
the art of being kind is all this sad world needs.
-- Ella Wheeler Wilcox (1805-1919)