AR-News: (US AZ) Wildlife park evicted; must relocate by Wednesday

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Mon Jun 28 03:11:34 EDT 2004

KVOA

June 28, 2004

With tiny marmoset monkeys screaming in the background, the owners of  the
Out of Africa Wildlife Park explained Sunday that they have to transport
hundreds of wild animals more than 100 miles after receiving an eviction  notice.

It sounds like a 21st century Noah's ark.
"We have four tigers, two antelopes, three deer, two ostrich and some prairie
 dogs that are not wanting to assist us to go in their carriers," said
Prayeri  Harrison, the owner of the park.
The beasts she mentioned were, as of Sunday, just the animals that had yet to
 make the voyage from their home of 16 years at the Fountain Hills-based
wildlife  park.
The park sits on the Ft. Mcdowell Yavapai Nation - at least until next
Wednesday. The Nation's Tribal Council evicted Out of Africa in early May and  gave
the park only until June 30th to vacate the premises, though the owners
never once missed a rent payment or a tax payment.
"We're not exactly sure why we were evicted," Harrison pondered. "It's their
land. If they want to develop it, they have every right to ask us to leave."
Each and every one of the 355 animals have had to be packed up and moved out
to the park's new location in Camp Verde, Arizona, south of Sedona. Right
now,  it's only temporary facility full of temporary enclosures built by
volunteers.
Hundreds of concerned citizens have travelled to both sites to take apart
animal-enclosures and rebuild them two hours north.
The stringent eviction notice has forced Out of Africa into debt for the
first time ever.

full story:
_http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=1971888&nav=HMO5OEfS_
(http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=1971888&nav=HMO5OEfS)

~~~*+*~~~*+*~~~*+*~~~*+*~~~*+*~~~*+*~~~*+*~~~*+*~~~*+*~~~

More news items from Animal Concerns volunteers  here > _More New  Headlines_
(http://www.animalconcerns.org/categories.html?do=shownews)

Also Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, Organizations, and  Forum. You may subscribe
to AR-News at > _www.AR-News.org_ (http://www.ar-news.org/)

If we cut up beasts simply because they cannot  prevent us and because we are
backing our own side in the struggle for  existence, it is only logical to
cut up imbeciles, criminals, enemies, or  capitalists for the same reasons.
--C. S. Lewis (novelist and essayist)
/\  /\