AR-News: [US]Plot to KILL BILL fax # correction/letter

Sinikka Crosland tracs at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 16 11:36:35 EDT 2004

For those of you opting to fax the Speaker of the House, Rep. Dennis Hastert, the one listed in the June 15th e-mail is incorrect.

I telephoned this morning to get the correct fax number and it is:

202 226 1996

Thank you one and all.

THE FUND FOR HORSES

__________________
Westbank, B.C., Canada

June 15, 2004

The Hon. Bob Goodlatte

2240 Rayburn House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

202 225-0917 fax

Dear Hon. Mr. Goodlatte:

I never thought that I would be writing to a U.S. government official with regard to the horse slaughter issue, but your views on this matter have even permeated across the border to Canada, where 2/3 of the population (64%) do not believe in the slaughter of equines for human consumption (Ipsos-Reid poll, May 18-20, 2004).

It has come to my attention that you are opposed to the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, and have even written to your colleagues (who support the bill) in order to try to sway their opinion in your direction. I am particularly fascinated by your connections to special interest groups that would like horse slaughter to continue; these links are easily located on the Internet, as are the less-than-ethical motivating factors for opposition to Bill H.R. 857. Please be advised that your own views on this issue are not supported by the vast majority of Americans and Canadians, who do not favor the act of butchering horses for meat.

I also remind you that Bill H.R. 857 has been co-sponsored by a majority of the House. Therefore, your opposition to this timely and crucial bill can be seen as a slap in the face to those who would like to free North American horses from butchery. It is also time for you and your industry cohorts to do the math and understand how live horses contribute more to the economy than the act of slaughtering them could ever achieve.

Yours truly,

Sinikka Crosland, R.N. (Retired)