AR-News: Father's Day with Jeffrey Masson

Animal Voices T.O. animalvoices at ciut.fm
Sun Jun 13 21:25:23 EDT 2004

***Animal Voices, Toronto's only animal rights/liberation radio program,
airs live every Tuesday 11 am - 12 pm EDT at CIUT 89.5 FM or www.ciut.fm. Tune in for a weekly update and editorial on animal-related news, as well as engaging interviews with activists and academics. Email: animalvoices at ciut.fm. Archived shows and more info can be found at www.animalvoices.ca. ***

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Please join us for a very special Father's Day edition of Animal Voices featuring bestselling author, Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson. Recently, we were able to speak with Jeff about fatherhood and the lessons we can learn from examining animal fathers in the wild. Insightful, candid, and always entertaining, Jeff discusses how writing the book, The Emperor's Embrace: Reflections on Animal Families and Fatherhood, affected how he approached parenting, what amazes him about some animal fathers and what they tell us about ourselves, and what lessons he hopes to impart to his own children. We also delve into some surprising and delightful topics like the remarkable success of homosexual families in the animal kingdom, what Jeff has to say to the religious right about homosexuality, how fish can be amazing fathers, and why Toronto holds such a dear place in Jeff's heart. We'll also hear about his experiences writing and promoting his latest critically acclaimed book, The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals.

We invite our listeners to email us your stories about your own fathers/parents. Did your father raise you to be compassionate toward animals? What values did you inherit from your father and how have they affected you? As a parent, how will you teach your children empathy and respect toward animal life?

More on The Emperor's Embrace: With fascinating insight, impeccable research, and captivating writing, controversial psychoanalyst Jeffrey Masson, a new father himself, introduces us to the world's best dads. Groundbreaking, compelling, inspirational, Masson's unique look at one of nature's most venerable institutions takes us to animal habitats around the world, yet always returns to the heart. For animal lovers, fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters everywhere, The Emperor's Embrace is a book that will forever change our perceptions of parenthood and family love.