AR-News: US - LA - New Hog Dog Bill

Political Animal politicalanimal13 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 6 14:28:28 EDT 2004

The opinion piece below that was submitted to ar-news
below is riddled with errors.  A factual response is
necessary to set the record straight.

The bill passed in Louisiana clearly bans any hog dog
fighting event in which dogs and hogs make physical
contact.

Of course a few of the hog dog fighters are trying to
find wiggle room around the law.  That is to be
expected.  But come August 15th, those people will end
up in jail if they continue with what they are doing.

Of course the bill does not address that swine in LA
have to be tested for diseases.  To mention what is
already law would be redundant and legislation is not
written to be redundant.

Of course it does not address disposal of waste from
hog dog fights.  The bill was not designed to regulate
waste disposal from these events, but rather to ban
these events.

Of course the bill does not address how the hogs are
to be treated once captured, as the idea was not to
regulate their housing, but ban the fights.

Of course the bill does not discuss pigs being
intelligent. How intelligent pigs are does not matter.
 An unintelligent animal should be spared from cruelty
just as much so as an intelligent one.

People, come August 15th, these places will either
have to close or get arrested.

Social movements must embrace victories, not
constantly make up reasons to be discouraged.  This
bill will lead to these places being closed no matter
how intent the hog dog fighters are on continuing with
their bloodsport.  The local police cannot ignore this
when the media throughout the state is watching, as
they are now.

The hog dog fighters will pay the price and the pigs
will be spared.

--- KsAPigButt at aol.com wrote:
> [...]
> be tagged or otherwise identified, blood tested for
> pseudorabies and
> brucelosis, and a health certificate provided by the
> LA State Vet if the pigs test
> negative.  If they test positive, by law, they are
> supposed to be put down as they
> can pass the diseases onto humans, food source
> animals, and all other
> animals.  The dangers of these possible diseases is
> not limited to human and nonhuman
> animals in LA, but to all other states due to out of
> state participants and
> their animals coming and going for these "events".
> At best these wild hogs
> carry lice and mange.  At worst they could carry
> rabies.  The hogs and dogs do
> get lose from time to time which endangers everyone
> including the general public
> outside these events.
>
> The bill does not address the fact that animals
> brought from one state to
> another, in addition to being identified, blood
> tested, and having a health
> certificate from the state vet of origination, they
> must also apply for a permit
> number and permit from the receiving state.  Once
> there, the vet from the
> recipient state has to go and check the animals,
> match the tags or other means of
> identification to the blood test results, and some
> states require they be
> retested.  To my knowledge, every state requires a
> period of quarantine (usually 30
> to 60 days) for any new animals entering into a
> state.
>
> The bill does not address the fact that to be legal,
> the operators should
> apply for a permit and license from the USDA for an
> exhibitor's license, in
> addition to requiring current (dated within the last
> 30 days) health certificates
> for every animal in attendance whether participating
> or not.
>
> The bill also does not address general health issues
> regarding waste
> management control for the captive pigs.  In
> addition to other problems, and depending
> on where the pigs are kept, the run off of waste can
> contaminate underground
> water supplies.  The gathering and breeding of flies
> and mosquitoes pose more
> health hazards.  No safe guards have been outlined
> to protect residents from
> operators setting up pens and arenas next door to
> them as has happened in the
> town of Clinton, LA.  Those residents, even though
> the operator, Chuck Harris,
> has moved the pigs from the open property to his
> private property close to 2
> months ago, and even though the residents have
> complained since January about
> the stench, flies, and mosquitos, nothing has been
> done to this day to clean up
> the filth left next to their homes.
>
> The bill says it's illegal to hold events open to
> the public and sell
> admittance tickets.  It does not say that

=== message truncated ===>