AR-News: (US MI) Pachyderm parade sparks PETA protest

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Tue May 11 17:22:14 EDT 2004

The Jackson Citizen Patriot

Tuesday, 11, 2004
By Brian Wheeler
Staff Writer
They won't be here until July, but the elephants already are causing a
ruckus.
Plans for an elephant parade to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the
Republican Party in Jackson are drawing complaints from animal-rights activists far
and wide.
Susan Milhoan, president of the Greater Jackson Chamber of Commerce, which
plans to stage the parade as part of this summer's Founding Festival, said she
is getting barraged with e-mails daily, thanks largely to the group People for
the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Organizers of the parade say they aren't even sure they'll get any live
animals.
"Little do they know we haven't gotten any confirmation on elephants,"
Milhoan told a committee organizing the weeklong festival Monday. "(But) we still
have some opportunities for elephants."

full story:
http://www.mlive.com/news/jacitpat/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1077727208133950.xml

for the news items that Animalconcerns volunteers have entered on the site go
to the Animalconcerns.org main page and click on "More News Headlines."

    "The day may come when the rest of the animal creation may acquire those
rights which never could have been withholden from them but by the hand of
tyranny. The question is not can they REASON, nor can they TALK, but can they
SUFFER?"
Jeremy Bentham 1748 - 1832