AR-News: (Singapore) Who says I'm barking mad?

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Sat May 8 21:55:41 EDT 2004

thesundaytimes
By Wong Kim Hoh
SHE makes very public her distaste for people who mistreat animals.

THE E-MAIL INTERVIEW: DEIRDRE MOSS
When it comes to her personal life though, Ms Deirdre Moss, the executive
officer of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), is
guarded.
She took two days to decide whether she should do this e-mail interview,
worried it would force her to reveal details about her personal life.
In the end, the opportunity to speak on behalf of animals won her over.
Born in Brisbane, the 51-year-old Singapore permanent resident claims to be
an accidental animal rights activist.
A former secretary, she became a volunteer at the SPCA in 1983, when she was
31.
In a rare interview with The Straits Times four years ago, she said: 'The
SPCA came along at a time when I needed something different in my life. I guess
it was a late calling, at the age of 31.'
Twenty-one years later, she is still there, as executive officer.
'My whole life,' she claimed, 'is the SPCA.'
What keeps her going, she said, is the knowledge that she's doing something
good.
'The work may be depressing at times, caring for others who are not as
fortunate as yourself, but I think if you're a contented person, you should share
your life with others who are not so fortunate.'
Q : Do you think Singapore should, like New York, have its own pet police?
A : That depends on what your definition of pet police is: Is it pets
themselves doing the watchdogging?
But if you mean should there be police specifically assigned to protect pets,
then a qualified 'yes'. Cruelty to animals should be fought on several
fronts: deterrence and punishment, as well as education. As a matter of fact, in
Britain, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals policed
animal cruelty before there was a police force for humans.
MAY 9, 2004 SUN

full story:
http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/talk/story/0,4386,249983,00.html

for the news items that Animalconcerns volunteers have entered on the site go
to the Animalconcerns.org main page and click on "More News Headlines."

    "The day may come when the rest of the animal creation may acquire those
rights which never could have been withholden from them but by the hand of
tyranny. The question is not can they REASON, nor can they TALK, but can they
SUFFER?"
Jeremy Bentham 1748 - 1832