AR-News: (India) Man dumps wife over dog

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Sat May 8 11:04:30 EDT 2004

newlerals.com

Beijing, May 8 (IANS) :

Xiao Fang, a squeamish housewife in the eastern China province of Jiangsu,
never thought her husband would divorce her for killing a pet dog he had kept
for seven years.

"Who's more important to him after all -- his wife or a dog?" asked the
bewildered mother of a 17-year-old boy.

Earlier this year, Xiao and her husband bought a new apartment in the
provincial capital Nanjing. "The new flat is nicely furnished and I didn't want the
dog to mess it up," Xinhua quoted her as saying.

Xiao said she had tried to send the dog away in the first place, but failed.
"Heihu was so clever that it managed to come back no matter how far I had
taken him. So I hired four men to kill it when my husband was travelling on
business."

Heihu, which literally means "black tiger", was the wolfhound her husband and
son loved dearly.

She was soon sorry for what she had done because the hostility from her
husband and son was unbearable. Her husband, Xu, in his 40s, was beside himself
when he learned of Heihu's death.

"He was like as a member of our family to me. How could she be so cruel?"
Xu asked his wife, saying he could no longer live under the same roof with a
murderer and divorce was the only way out.

The tragedy also saddened their son Xiao Gang, a senior high school student
who for the first time in his life defied his mother.

full story:
http://news.newkerala.com/world-news/index.php?action=fullnews&showcomments=1&
id=15828

for the news items that Animalconcerns volunteers have entered on the site go
to the Animalconcerns.org main page and click on "More News Headlines."

    "The day may come when the rest of the animal creation may acquire those
rights which never could have been withholden from them but by the hand of t
yranny. The question is not can they REASON, nor can they TALK, but can they
SUFFER?"
Jeremy Bentham 1748 - 1832