AR-News: (US-ca) Don't read this over a burger

Animalconcerns info at animalconcerns.org
Wed May 5 08:18:36 EDT 2004

[from San Francisco Chronicle]

These days, mad cow disease is ever with us, so I was off to lunch to meet
John Stauber, who's been described by "Fast Food Nation'' author Eric
Schlosser as "[one] of America's bravest, finest journalists."

And, since Stauber earned this accolade in part by co-writing "Mad Cow U.
S.A.," a book that, seven years ago, warned we weren't doing nearly enough
to prevent mad cow disease in this country, I was meeting him at Greens.
"Mad Cow U.S.A." went out of print, but Stauber and Rampton decided to
make it available as a free download. Then came Dec. 23, 2003, the day mad
cow disease was found in the United States, and over the course of the
next month or so, the book was downloaded 80,000 times.

And Stauber -- who sends out periodic mad cow e-mail updates, though he
and Rampton have also just released a new book, "Banana Republicans" --
believes much more has to be done. "You may not be a vegetarian, but the
animals you eat need to be," he said. "We're still not following that axiom."

full story:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/05/05/DDGFL6EUPN1.DTL

***(Some of the) NEWS recently added on Animalconcerns!  [Newslinks added
throughout the day!]  (Looking for something to post to your e-mail
lists?)  Look for other News Headlines added today to AnimalConcerns.org
(http://www.animalconcerns.org/):

Animals can live it up down on the farm - Maryland Gazette Newspapers
Derry call to clamp down on cruelty - Belfast Telegraph
Animal-rights group challenges meat eaters - Cleveland Plain Dealer
ACLU snarls at Pawtucket’s pit bull law - Pawtucket Times
Seal skin fashion to boost Canada's fur trade - BBC
Only 3 mad cow tests done at Texas firm - United Press International
K-State's Riley Stepping Down as Animal Sciences Department Head -
agriculture.about.com
Missouri plant asks to test for mad cow - Wichita Eagle
Puppy thrower draws fine of $1,460 - Bridgeton News
Cats rescued from apartment fire put shelter over capacity - New Jersey
Journal
Animal cruelty case reset for May 13 - Mobile Register
RSPCA to highlight chicken cruelty - ITV.com
Authorities Investigate Alleged Animal Abuse In Vinton County - NBC4
Columbus.com
Judge kills Cat Lady's curious suits - Boston Herald
Kitchen Cabinet May 5, 2004 - The Saratogian
Don't read this over a burger - San Francisco Chronicle
Expert fights horse cloning ban - BBC
Companies urged to stand up to protestors - Accountancy Age

Your Portal to Animal Concerns Forum (discussion board), More News
Headlines, AR-News on the Web, Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, and
Organizations! Try searching for the news item on Animalconcerns!
http://www.animalconcerns.org/