AR-News: Bank of America Victory

Adam Weissman, Wetlands Preserve adam at wetlands-preserve.org
Tue May 4 15:53:15 EDT 2004

From: Dan Firger <globalfinance at action.ran.org>

Dear Global Finance Friends,

Today was to be the launch of our "No Way BofA" Campaign, with nearly
30 events scheduled for a first National Day of Action.  Activists in
Charlotte, NC were to visit Bank of America's headquarters, while
folks in Boston were getting ready for a "parade of shame" from the
Boston Common to Fleet's (now a part of BofA) downtown HQ.  Others
around the country were planning bank branch visits, street theater,
call-ins to the CEO, and other creative events.

All this preparation paid off yesterday, with a fantastic finish to
one of the shortest campaigns in recent history!

Bank of America, fearing the looming threat of today's National Day
of Action, agreed yesterday to adopt sweeping new environmental
policies that surpass even those set by Citigroup, their largest
competitor.

The policy will be released publicly within the next few days, so
stay tuned for much more info and analysis of what it will mean for
climate change, forest protection, and indigenous rights.

Bank of America's recent change of heart, and the impacts its new
policies will have, are a testament to the power of our grassroots
movement for democracy, accountability, and sanity in our global
economic system.  This victory would not have been possible without
the hard work, support, and vision of all the activists, organizers,
and rabble-rousers who make up the RAN and Global Finance Campaign
families.

The tide is turning, and financial institutions like BofA are
beginning to read the writing on the wall. But of course, Bank of
America is just #2 on a long list of "Liquidators" who have yet to
adopt environmental standards.  RAN will be naming a new target in
our Global Finance Campaign soon, and if you have any input or advice
for us on who should be next, we'd love to hear it.

Email dan at ran.org to get involved!

And of course, we'll keep you updated as soon as we have more to
share about this fantastic victory!

For the Earth and for Justice,

Dan and Ilyse

The Global Finance Team at RAN

--
Recognizing the common roots of all forms of oppression, The Activism
Center at Wetlands Preserve fights for human, animal, and earth
activism at wetlands-preserve.org
AOL Instant Messenger SN: Adam of Wetlands
http://wetlands-preserve.org	  http://humanevoters.org
	http://ftaareferendum.org   http://foodnotfur.org
http://freegan.info