AR-News: UPC Forum Schedule and Registration

UPC News news at upc-online.org
Mon Apr 19 22:46:55 EDT 2004

United Poultry Concerns PO Box 150 Machipongo, VA 23405

Phone: 757-678-7875 Fax: 757-678-5070 www.upc-online.org

Dear Friend,

United Poultry Concerns is pleased to invite you to sponsor and attend “Mad
Cows to Mad Chickens: What Insiders Can Tell You About Agribusiness, Animal
Liberation, and Your Diet,” which will take place August 21-22, 2004, at the
Hilton Airport Norfolk Hotel, in Norfolk, Virginia.

Inspired by former Tyson chicken slaughter plant worker, Virgil Butler, our
featured speaker, and by growing public awareness of the deplorable
treatment of animals exploited for food and its link to human and nonhuman
animal suffering and diseases, our Forum brings together experts from behind
the scenes of the meat, poultry, egg, dairy, medical, and alternative animal
production industries.

The attached registration form and program (the 2-day schedule is attached)
show the powerful and diverse group of speakers you will hear, talk to, and
interact with for two full days of exciting discussions, exhibit tables,
continental breakfasts, and vegan buffet luncheons, capped by a Sunday
evening visit to United Poultry Concerns for a delicious dinner provided by
Little Italy Restaurant and a visit with our chickens, turkeys, and ducks!

We invite you to attend our Forum and to select one of our key sponsorship
options. As a sponsor you will receive prominent recognition in our Forum
program, and one or two free registrations, plus a 2005 FREE UPC membership.

We look forward to your support for and participation in our Fifth Annual
Forum, “Mad Cows to Mad Chickens,” August 21-22, in Norfolk, Virginia.
Virgil Butler, who is making his first conference appearance, will take us
inside the hidden world of the chicken industry. Please join us in welcoming
him and hearing his story about what goes on, what caused him to speak out,
and how we can join him in helping the birds.

Sincerely,

Karen Davis, PhD
President

You are Cordially Invited to Attend

UNITED POULTRY CONCERNS FIFTH ANNUAL FORUM 2004

Mad Cows to Mad Chickens: What Insiders Can Tell You About Agribusiness,
Animal Liberation, and Your Diet

Meet the eyewitnesses and hear their testimony from behind the scenes of the
meat, poultry, egg, dairy, medical, and alternative animal production
industries

Saturday, August 21 – Sunday August 22, 2004

Hilton Airport Norfolk Hotel
1500 N Military Hwy
Norfolk, VA 23502

Toll Free: 800-422-7474

$92.00 single/double occupancy

Guests must advise they will be with UNITED POULTRY CONCERNS group when
making their reservation. Each reservation must be guaranteed via credit
card number or check.

Registration: $75 per person. Students & seniors: $40 (Registration form is
attached)

Vegan luncheon and Continental breakfast will be provided both days by
United Poultry Concerns.

A complimentary dinner, provided by Little Italy, will be hosted at United
Poultry Concerns’ headquarters & chicken sanctuary on Sunday evening
following the Forum.

Speakers:

Sarahjane Blum, media director for GourmetCruelty.com, a grassroots
coalition dedicated to exposing the truth about the cruel delicacy of foie
gras, through undercover investigation, open rescue, and educational
outreach.

Virgil Butler, former Tyson chicken slaughterhouse worker in Grannis,
Arkansas, whose testimony about the horrible conditions at Tyson and ongoing
website revelations were featured in a front-page article in the Los Angeles
Times, “A Killing Floor Chronicle,” Dec. 8, 2003.

Terry Cummings, codirector of Poplar Spring Farm Animal Sanctuary, whose
visit to Springfield Farm, a free-range turkey farm in Sparks, Maryland,
showed how these turkeys actually live.

Cheri Ezell-Vandersluis, a former dairy goat farmer, and now the director of
Maple Farm Sanctuary in Mendon, Massachusetts, had an eye-opening experience
that changed her life forever.

Mary Finelli, editor of the online newsletter Farmed Animal Watch, toured
alternative farms in Virginia, and reports on how the animals really live.

Lester Friedlander, DVM, former chief veterinary USDA Meat Inspector at the
largest hamburger production plant in the country, was one of the first
veterinarians in the U.S. to study tapes of what BSE-infected cows look
like. He was fired by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for speaking out on
48 Hours (CBS) and Prime Time Live (ABC).

Michael Greger, M.D., Mad Cow Coordinator for the Organic Consumers
Association and Chief BSE Investigator for Farm Sanctuary, is the author of
“The Killer Among Us” and many other articles on human and animal health
issues.

Pattrice Jones, co-director of the Eastern Shore Sanctuary & Education
Center and coordinator of the Global Hunger Alliance, lives and learns from
chickens and chicken “growers” in the heart of Delmarva poultry country.

Jim Mason, co-author of Animal Factories and author of An Unnatural Order,
worked undercover as an artificial inseminator at a ConAgra turkey breeding
operation in Missouri and is now working on a new book.

Paul Shapiro, campaigns director for Compassion Over Killing, a nonprofit
animal advocacy organization whose work on behalf of farmed animals has been
featured in the New York Times, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, San
Francisco Chronicle, and Baltimore Sun, among other media outlets. As a COK
investigator, he has documented the conditions for animals in factory farms,
livestock auctions, and slaughter plants.

Register Now! Register a Friend!

United Poultry Concerns, Inc.

PO Box 150 Machipongo, VA 23405-0150
757-678-7875 FAX: 757-678-5070

www.upc-online.org

UNITED POULTRY CONCERNS 5TH ANNUAL FORUM
MAD COWS TO MAD CHICKENS – WHAT INSIDERS CAN TELL YOU ABOUT AGRIBUSINESS,
ANIMAL LIBERATION, AND YOUR DIET

August 21-22, 2004 Norfolk, Virginia

SCHEDULE

Saturday, August 21st 8:00 AM – 5 PM

Morning

8:00 – 8:30 Registration, Continental Breakfast, Exhibit Tables

8:30 – 8:45 Welcome by Karen Davis, PhD, President, United Poultry Concerns

8:45 – 9:30 Michael Greger, MD – “The Killers Among Us: Infectious Proteins
in the Food Supply”

9:30 – 10: 45 Sarahjane Blum – “Delicacy of Despair: Behind the Closed Doors
of the Foie Gras Industry”

10:45 – 11:00 - Break

11:00 – 11:45 Jim Mason – “My Job at the Turkey Breeding Factory”

11:45 – 12 Noon - Discussion

12 Noon – 1:00 - Vegan Buffet Luncheon

Afternoon

1:15 – 2:00 Virgil Butler – “Inside Tyson’s Hell – Why I Got Out of the
Chicken Slaughtering Business”

2:15 – 3:00 Terry Cummings – “The Reality of Free-Range Turkey Farming”

3:00 – 3:15 Break

3:15 – 4:15 Panel Discussion with Audience Participation: Questions &
Answers

4:15 – 5:00 Visit the Exhibit Tables, Socialize

SCHEDULE

Sunday, August 22nd 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

8:00 – 8:30 Registration, Continental Breakfast, Exhibit Tables

8:30 – 8:45 Welcome by Karen Davis, PhD, President, United Poultry Concerns

8:45 – 9:30 Lester Friedlander, DVM – “Mad Cow: The Man Who Knew Too Much”

9:30 – 10:45 Pattrice Jones – “Deep in the Heart of Poultry Country:
Depression, Despoliation & Demoralization on the Delmarva Peninsula”

10:45 – 11:00 - Break

11:00 – 11:45 Cheri Ezell-Vandersluis – “Why I Stopped Milking Goats and
Started Saving Them: The Evolution of Our Family Farm”

11:45 – 12 Noon – Discussion

12 Noon – 1:00 - Vegan Buffet Luncheon

Afternoon

1:15 – 2:00 “Are There Humane Production Alternatives to Animal Factories?”

2:15 – 3:00 Paul Shapiro – “Letting the Animals Speak for Themselves: The
Importance of Undercover Investigations”

3:00 – 3:15 – Break

3:15 – 4:15 - Panel Discussion with Audience Participation: Questions &
Answers

4:15 Closing Remarks & Thank You

4:20 – 5:00 Visit the Exhibit Tables

5:00 Drive to United Poultry Concerns for Dinner and Sanctuary Visit

6:00 – 9:00 Dinner at United Poultry Concerns

Thank you for joining us!

UNITED POULTRY CONCERNS FORUM REGISTRATION

Forum registration is $75 per person. Registration includes forum programs,
exhibit tables access, two Continental breakfasts, two buffet luncheons, and
a Sunday night dinner. Please register ______ @ 75 each = $ ______.

1.      ______________________________________________________________

2.      ______________________________________________________________

3.      ______________________________________________________________

4.      ______________________________________________________________

5.      ______________________________________________________________

6.      ______________________________________________________________

All registrations must be received by Monday, August 16. Student/senior
registration $40

Send check or money order to UPC, PO Box 150, Machipongo, VA 23405

--------------------------------

SPONSORSHIP

A sponsorship of $1,000 or more entitles you to two registrations, a
one-year free UPC 2005 membership, and recognition in our Forum program.

A sponsorship of $450 - $999 entitles you to one registration, a one-year
free UPC 2005 membership, and recognition in our Forum program.

[    ]  Forum Benefactor for Vegan Buffet Saturday Luncheon - $1,600

[    ] Forum Benefactor for Vegan Buffet Sunday Luncheon - $1,600

[    ] Forum Benefactor for Vegan Sunday Dinner - $1,600

[    ] Forum Benefactor for Continental Saturday Breakfast - $1,000

[    ] Forum Benefactor for Continental Sunday Breakfast - $1,000

[    ] Forum Benefactor for Speakers’ Accommodations - $1,000

[    ] Forum Benefactor for Saturday Conference Room - $450

[    ] Forum Benefactor for Sunday Conference Room - $450

Please make your check or money order payable to United Poultry Concerns, PO
Box 150, Machipongo, VA 23405. Thank you!

UPC - Promoting the compassionate and respectful treatment of domestic fowl