AR-News: (Africa) Zimbabwe: Cattle And Game Ranching Proposed for Non-Arable Land

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Mon Apr 12 11:24:57 EDT 2004

The ZCFU was discussing the incorporation of both livestock and wildlife
farmers into the fund allocated for the livestock rebuilding programme with the
Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ).
"With the money that has been availed by the RBZ and the Land Bank (formerly
Agri-bank) we are going to make sure we complement this with adequate support
extension services and advice," Mugabe said.
The ZCFU livestock resuscitation plans come at time when the national cattle
herd has been depleted by three years of consecutive drought.
Cattle breeders across Zimbabwe were forced to sell or abandon thousands of
animals following the invasion of farms in February 2000 by war veterans.
The wildlife population has also been depleted by the resettled people, who
began poaching indiscriminately soon after settling in areas where game was
plentiful.
Edward Mkhosi, former chief livestock and land use planner for the state-run
Agriculture Rural Development Authority (ARDA) in Matabeleland South, said the
ZCFU's plans for both livestock and wildlife farming were likely to be upset
by regular outbreaks of foot-and-mouth disease (FMD).

full story:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200404120065.html