AR-News: (UK) Birds ‘turned into dustbins by our waste’

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 21:03:09 EDT 2004

Call for plastic bag tax after study finds 96% of dead fulmars have pieces in
their stomachs
By Rob Edwards, Environment Editor

THE plastic we throw away gets everywhere. New evidence suggests that almost
every dead seabird that is washed ashore in northern Europe has eaten some of
it.
Scientists have found scraps of plastic in the stomachs of 96% of gull-like
fulmars found on beaches in the Netherlands. In some instances, they say, the
plastic probably killed the birds.
The discovery has been branded “truly shocking” by environmental groups, who
are backing a bid by an MSP to introduce a levy on plastic bags in shops. It
is also being used to support an international campaign to reduce the 20,000
tonnes of litter dumped in the North Sea every year.

full story:

http://www.sundayherald.com/41176