AR-News: (US PA) Shelter fire kills 34 animals

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Thu Apr 1 12:51:50 EST 2004

By: Steve Ferris , Herald-Standard 04/01/2004

Firefighters work at the fire scene as flames rise from the shelter's roof.
Dave Rafferty/Herald-Standard
NORTH UNION TWP. - State police fire marshals are investing the cause of a
fire Wednesday afternoon that heavily damaged the Fayette Society for the
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and killed 30 dogs and four cats.

Three employees of the nearby Camelot Veterinary Hospital were treated at a
local hospital for smoke inhalation suffered while attempting to rescue some of
the animals.
Six dogs survived, according to shelter manager Olinda Beatty, who was the
only employee present when the fire started shortly before 3 p.m.
Beatty said she was working in the office when she noticed the smell of what
she thought was a fluorescent light or ballast burning.
She looked in a hallway, didn't see anything burning and then went to the
kennel.
"I looked in the kennel and it was already filled with smoke," Beatty said.
"I called 911 and they said get out of the building."
Fayette County 911 received her call at 2:48 p.m.
Three women who work at Camelot, located just a few hundred yards away from
the shelter, responded.
They evacuated some animals and tried to revive some of them, hospital
officials said.

full story:

http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=11220585&BRD=2280&PAG=461&d
ept_id=480247&rfi=6