AR-News: (US MI) City plans to restrict cats to 3 per home

Animalara2003 at Animalara2003 at
Fri Mar 26 15:29:12 EST 2004

Thursday, March 25, 2004
By Heather L. VanDykeand Lynn Moore

The Norton Shores City Council is scheduled to vote on a proposed cat
ordinance next month that would prohibit residents from owning more than three cats
or allowing them to roam off their property.
The proposed ordinance, expected to be considered by the city council April
6, was prompted by the abandonment last year of a home in the city that
contained at least nine cats.
City officials decided on three as the limit of cats per home after surveying
other communities and speaking with officials with Muskegon County animal
control, said Mark C. Meyers, Norton Shores' director of administrative services.
"We also considered the fact we restrict dog ownership to two without a
kennel license," Meyers said.