AR-News: Gorilla shot after escape at Dallas Zoo 1 Graphic

סמדר rumsiki at netvision.net.il
Sat Mar 20 20:10:45 EST 2004

From: Le Petit Chien

AnimalVoicesNews
Source:   MSNBC
Letters: letters at MSNBC.com

Director  Rich Buickerood
Dallas Zoological Society
650 S. R.L. Thornton Freeway
Dallas, TX 75203-3013
214 670 5656
http://www.dallas-zoo.org/home/home.asp
Fax (214) 942-1009
info at dalzoo.org

Mayor Laura Miller and City Council
City of Dallas
1500 Marilla Street, 5th Floor
Dallas, Texas 75201-6390
Web Form for all:  http://www.ci.dallas.tx.us/forms/mcc/MCC_Mail_Form.htm

Paul D. Dyer, Department Director
City of Dallas Park and Recreation Department
Dallas City Hall
1500 Marilla Street, Room 6FN
Dallas, TX 75201
Phone: (214) 670-4100
Fax: (214) 670-4098
Web Form:  http://www.dallascityhall.com/contact/

Randy Hampton, Interim Chief of Police
Dallas Police Department
1400 S. Lamar
Dallas, TX 75215
http://www.dallaspolice.net/index.cfm
Phone: (214) 671-3730

Re:  Deputy Police Chief Daniel Garcia

Note:  Thanks to insomnia, I heard this news at about 3:30 a.m.   I jumped out of bed and turned the computer back on to send this immediately.  I am so angry and upset.  Haven't these idiots ever heard of and aren't they prepared with tranquilizer guns?   Apparently, biting and scratching are capital offenses in Texas.  The zoo was already evacuated, except for trigger-happy or panicy cops.   Where were zoo officials all this time?

Gorilla shot after escape
at Dallas Zoo

3 people are bitten, scratched
Updated: 10:59 p.m. ET March  18, 2004

Police shot and killed a gorilla that escaped from its enclosure at the Dallas Zoo on Thursday and injured three people.

One adult and two children, ages 10 and 2, suffered minor injuries from the gorilla and were taken to area hospitals, Deputy Police Chief Daniel Garcia said. He said the three were bitten and scratched.

The zoo was evacuated after the animal escaped and police were notified. When the gorilla charged two officers, getting within 15 feet of them, they opened fire, Garcia said.

³We were forced to put this animal down,² he said.

Garcia said police officers¹ objective was protecting citizens until authorities could figure out what to do with the gorilla.

Diana Gonzalez, a zoo patron, said she saw the animal banging on the door of its enclosure, and then it broke. The gorilla then scampered out of the gorilla pit.

Dallas zoo director Rich Buickerood said the primate was an inquisitive 13-year-old Western Lowland gorilla. He said the animal was likely ³extremely excited and extremely fearful while it was out.²

He said zoo officials are trying to figure out how the escape happened.

Last year, a 300-pound gorilla escaped twice in two months from Boston¹s Franklin Park Zoo.

In the second escape, he strolled around the zoo and the surrounding streets for about two hours and attacked a 2-year-old girl and an 18-year-old woman. Both suffered minor injuries. The animal was sedated with tranquilizer darts.

The zoo reopened its gorilla exhibit last month without the escapee, named Little Joe, who now spends his time in a holding area away from the public.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4558461/

© 2004 MSNBC.com
© 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
This is being sent to you by Judy Reed, founder of AnimalVoices, because I
think you may be interested in its contents for nonprofit research and
educational purposes only.
[Ref.http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html]

Permission granted to cross-post this message, as is, with source/credit
given to AnimalVoicesNews

If you no longer wish to receive AnimalVoicesNews, please reply with
"unsubscribe" in the subject.   To receive AnimalVoicesNews, just ask!

Tell Elected Officials and Candidates
Remember the Animals:
They Don't Vote, But People Who Love Them Do
or  I'm Pro Animal and I VOTE!!!!

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif name=featured_button_top.gif

-My Pictures! http://community.webshots.com/user/juliatat
-Petition Greek Dogs
http://www.petitiononline.com/greece04/petition.html
-Petition Argentine Dogs