AR-News: (US RI) Town wildlife refuge to ban dog walking

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Tue Mar 16 17:01:01 EST 2004

By Matt Sheley/Daily News staff

MIDDLETOWN - Beginning April 4, dog walking will no longer be allowed at the
Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge.

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service announced the pending change Monday as part
of an effort to better protect wildlife and promote safety in federal refuges
throughout the state.
Sharon Ware, refuge manager for Sachuest Point, said the majority of the dog
owners who bring their pets respect the 242-acre facility at the end of
Sachuest Point Road, but there have been several near misses between walkers and
canines in recent years.

"Unfortunately, there are those who don't keep their dogs on a leash and let
them run free, but a large number don't," Ware said. "We have had some close
calls, and as a national refuge, our primarily focus is protecting wildlife
those who are here to enjoy it first and foremost."

full story:

http://www.newportdailynews.com/articles/2004/03/16/news/news6.txt