AR-News: (US DC) How Technology Helped Collar Nellie's Bad Habit

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Sat Mar 13 19:22:39 EST 2004

By Angus Phillips
Sunday, March 14, 2004; Page E17
Regular readers know I'm not big on technology. Give me the old ways, tried
and true. But occasionally an innovation is so effective, even an old Luddite
falls for it. So it is with electronic dog collars.
Six months ago I was among the pack of dog lovers condemning these gadgets as
cruel and unusual. Then I got an unruly pup with a problem that wouldn't go
away.
Nellie, now nine months old, is a full-blooded black Labrador that can jump
as high as your nose, and will, any chance she gets. Dog folks say it's a
natural trait, the origins lying in the fact that wolves fed their young in part by
regurgitating digested food. The wolf pup that got to momma's mouth first got
the meat. Nowadays, humans take the place of the alpha female in a pup's eye,
but the instinct lingers.

full story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56146-2004Mar13.html