AR-News: (US-fl)Food Not Bombs group serving up meals, politics

Animalconcerns info at animalconcerns.org
Sat Mar 13 12:04:44 EST 2004

[from St. Augustine Record]

Wearing a T-shirt with the message "Democracy, We Deliver" near a photo of
a fighter jet dropping bombs, J.D. Cook handed out free meals this week to
downtown's homeless and hungry.

Cook is part of a local group called Food Not Bombs, which sets up at
least four times a week to feed any passerby who might need lunch.

He said he believes the U.S. government is spending billions on bombs when
it could spend a fraction of that money feeding the hungry and providing
better social services.

"Anybody who wants to eat," is the motto of the group. "Anybody who's hungry."
"It's usually vegan or vegetarian meals," Cook said. "It's more of a
political thing."

Food Not Bombs is part of a national organization, Citizens In Action.
He added that the police department tips its hat to the men and women who
bring out food to help the hungry.

"We support anything that helps to feed the homeless," Olsen said.

full story:
http://www.staugustine.com/stories/031304/new_2190655.shtml

Your Portal to Animal Concerns Forum (discussion board), More News
Headlines, AR-News on the Web, Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, and
Organizations! Try searching for the news item on Animalconcerns!
http://www.animalconcerns.org/