AR-News: TODAY: Dennis Kucinich & Tom Regan live on-line

Mary Finelli hello_itz_me at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 8 10:41:35 EST 2004

Noon (EST, 5 p.m. Greenwich) on http://www.GoVeganTexas.org and
http://www.KPFT.org

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

*** Dennis Kucinich and Tom Regan ***
A Politician and a Philosopher: Following Gandhi's Path

on Go Vegan Texas!
Monday at 11am (CST)
90.1 FM-Houston and 89.5 FM-Galveston

"My politics arises from an holistic world view: we're interconnected, we're
interdependent. What affects me affects you. It goes beyond the I-thou of
Martin Buber and goes to the connectivity of "we are all one" that informed
Gandhi's essential philosophy. Because when you wage war under those
circumstances, it is not an act merely of homicide-it is an act of suicide."
-  Congressman Dennis Kucinich from his Acceptance Speech for the 2003
Gandhi Peace Award

" Dennis Kucinich is a prophet in his own country. In a nation dominated by
war, he calls for peace. In a nation ruled by greed, he asks for generosity.
In a nation run by special interests, he speaks for the people's interests.
As is true of all those ahead of their time, the day will come when America
embodies Dennis Kucinich's message of decency and compassion, justice and
respect. This day will come, but not soon enough."
- Tom Regan, Emeritus Professor of Philosophy, author, Empty Cages,
nominated for the Pulitzer Prize

"In a world where exploitation of other species has become mechanized and
institutionalized,
the animals need a spokesperson.  That voice belongs to Tom Regan, whose
Empty Cages is a clearly written, eloquent argument in favor of compassion
for the beings with which we share the planet.  Read his book and you'll
think twice about eating meat, watching a circus, wearing fur, or supporting
animal-based research."
- Jim Motavilli, editor, E: The Environmental Magazine

Today on the eve of the March 9 Texas Primary, Congressman Dennis Kucinich
joins us at the top of the hour on Go Vegan Texas! to talk to Texas voters
about his compassionate world view and (in his words): " the potential of
humanity to evolve from a condition where some believe that war is
inevitable, to a condition where our knowledge that peace is inevitable
becomes the defining paradigm of a new century and a new world."

In answer to the mainstream media's question about why Kucinich  is in this
presidential race to the finish, it is simply because his message is very
different from either Bush's or Kerry's......on almost every issue from the
death penalty to health care to nuclear safety...and it is imperative in a
democracy to let all voices be heard.  We should never be forced to vote
"for the lesser of two evils."

He has been called "America's Gandhi," and has been endorsed by many of
America's leading spiritual teachers as a rare man in politics who embodies
their fundamental teachings of love, wisdom, and peace  and offers enormous
hope to all people around the world who feel called to participate in the
transformation of this planet toward a new global era of peace,
sustainability, and cooperation.

Both Kucinich and our other guest, professor Tom Regan are vegans and were
inspired by the life and teachings of Mahatma Gandhi who said:  "The
greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its
animals are treated."

Regan, universally recognized as the intellectual leader of the animal
rights movement, is professor emeritus from North Carolina State University
in Raleigh, and the author of over 20 books, three of whom were nominated
for the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award:  The Case for Animal
Rights, Bloomsbury's Prophet: G. E. Moore and the Development of his Moral
Philosophy, and his most recent book Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of
Animal Rights.

In Empty Cages, Dr. Regan unmasks the fraudulent rhetoric of humane
treatment:  "Being kind to animals is not enough. Avoiding cruelty is not
enough. Housing animals in more comfortable, larger cages is not enough.
Whether we exploit animals to eat, to wear, to entertain us, or to learn,
the truth of animal rights requires empty cages, not larger cages."

"When you look into an animal's eyes, we recognize our kin, Regan says.
"There's somebody in there; they are subjects of their own lives, and what
happens to them, matters to them."
They are unique somebodies, not generic \

>From that intuitive observation, Regan builds the philosophical case that
animals have certain moral rights, including rights of liberty and the right
not to be harmed...and that humans and animals are the same and, therefore,
we should not do to them what we would not have done to us."

Patricia Howard, a  leader in the animal rights movement, will co-host
today's program from her  home in Washington, DC.  She helped  coordinate
Animal Rights 2003 East and West Conferences in DC and LA,  is an actor,
dancer, and writer, and  hosted the animal rights radio show, Animal Update.

So, tune in  to Go Vegan Texas! at 11am today to hear the voices and views
of two vegans, one a  presidential candidate for peace and another, a
philosophical spokesperson for animal rights, and both following Gandhi's
path to to bring peace and lessen suffering in the world.

Thank you for listening,
Janice Blue
Host, Go Vegan Texas!
Now weekly every Monday at 11am (CST)
On Pacifica Radio
KPFT, 90.1 FM - Houston and 89.5 FM - Galveston

Listen Live on www.GovVeganTexas.org
(Just Wiggle the Cow's Ears)
Or later on www.KPFTarchive.org

Every animal you eat
Was running for her life.
-------------------------------
Show Compassion, Go Vegan!

We have  Go Vegan Texas! t shirts for sale in adult and children's sizes.
Visit our website:  www. govegantexas.org
We regret we have run out of all our tote bags, large and small.

Contact Information on Today's Guests:

Congressman Dennis Kucinich
Vote your ethics!
Vote for the Dennis Kucinich in the March 9 Texas Primary!
http://www.kucinich.us
Or call Toll Free:  (866) 413-3664

Professor Tom Regan
Empty Cages: Facing the Challenge of Animal Rights.
http://tomregan-animalrights.com/home.html
With his wife Nancy, Dr. Regan co-founded The Culture & Animals Foundation
http://www.cultureandanimals.org