AR-News: (US CA) Stray pets soon will get VIP treatment

Animalara2003 at Animalara2003 at
Sat Mar 6 09:36:18 EST 2004

Anderson's small facility at park is moving to a larger animal hospital
Renee Canavan,
city animal officer
Kimberly Bolander
Record Searchlight

March 06, 2004 — 2:07 a.m.
ANDERSON — In serene Anderson River Park, the peace of outdoor weddings and
family picnics is often interrupted by pitiful howls, yelps and barking.
For 22 years, stray dogs and cats have been caged outdoors in a makeshift
city kennel at the park's entrance.
The aged trailer beside it doubles as a cramped office, pungent with the
scent of dog food. It has no hot water, no set hours of operation, and attracts
plenty of vandals, Anderson Police Chief Neil Purcell said.
"We've had mold problems, we've had water problems and we've had mud
problems," he said. "We've had some people steal dogs from there, or let dogs loose."
But that's about to change.