AR-News: (US ME) Lunenburg native finalist for 'sexiest vegetarian'

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Sun Feb 8 15:45:19 EST 2004

By Crystal C. Bozek cbozek at sentinelandenterprise.com
LUNENBURG -- Amanda Moeckel remembers standing in the Lunenburg High School
cafeteria nine years ago campaigning for animal rights.
Now Moeckel, 24, is among 10 female finalists vying to be "The Sexiest
Vegetarian Alive."
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has given national
attention to the Lunenburg native, picking her from hundreds of vegetarian
contestants.
"It's kind of tongue-in-cheek humor to get people into vegetarianism. ... To
get media in this country, sometimes you have to do crazy, insane stuff,"
Moeckel said from her home in San Francisco. "I like to talk about vegetarianism
as much as I can. It's a more compassionate lifestyle."
Moeckel admits she doesn't agree with everything PETA has done for publicity,
but she is grateful for the work they do.
PETA is a national animal rights group that has drawn national attention
through a number of controversial protests aimed at people wearing fur.
The animal group claims vegetarians are "healthier and sexier" than
meat-eaters.
Since leaving Lunenburg after high school graduation, Moeckel has started her
own art business, primarily painting animal portraits and animal advocacy
materials.
Her art has appeared in "The Animal's Agenda" and "The Abolitionist."
Moeckel stopped eating meat in high school after reading "Animal Liberation,"
which contains graphic accounts of animal testing and slaughtering.
"I've always been an animal lover, but I never really questioned what went on
in factory farms. When I read the book, I realized how bad the conditions
were for the animals," she said. "It's so hard to stomach. ... I decided to stop
supporting animal suffering myself."

full story:
http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/Stories/0,1413,106~4992~1944029,00.html

          /\  /\