AR-News: (Facts about spaying, neuteringUS CA)

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Fri Feb 6 09:03:28 EST 2004

By Dee Harrell Mooring
CONTRIBUTOR
LOOK at the numbers. You'll see why homeless pets present a significant
problem.
In the United States alone, about 10,000 people and
70,000 puppies and kittens are born each day. Even though we have made
tremendous inroads in reducing pet overpopulation, we have a long way to go.
For the past two years, Northern California shelters and rescue groups have
reported record numbers of kitten adoptions, and there are already signs that
this will probably be yet another record-breaking "kitten season." According to
SpayUSA, if each female cat has two litters per year, with only 2.8 kittens
surviving per litter, the result in 9 years will be 11,606,077 additional cats.
Applying the same math to each female dog (and all puppies) through six
years, the result will be 67,000 more dogs to the population.

full story:
http://www.timesstar.com/Stories/0,1413,125~1549~1939293,00.html

          /\  /\