AR-News: (US) Agriculture Secretary Downplays Mad Cow

Animalconcerns info at animalconcerns.org
Thu Feb 5 21:04:46 EST 2004

WASHINGTON - After reviewing an expert panel's report that the United
States likely has undiscovered cases of mad cow disease, Agriculture
Secretary Ann Veneman said there still is no cause for alarm.

"I don't think we have a significant issue in this country," Veneman told
reporters Thursday. "But we are going to take it seriously."

The report by a team of five scientists convened by Veneman said some
cattle in the United States would be carrying the brain-wasting illness,
formally known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

full story:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/politics/7885280.htm

Your Portal to Animal Concerns Forum (discussion board), More News
Headlines, AR-News on the Web, Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, and
Organizations! Try searching for the news item on Animalconcerns!
http://www.animalconcerns.org/