AR-News: (US-MD) DNR plans for fall bear hunt released

Michael Markarian mmarkarian at fund.org
Thu Feb 5 08:17:31 EST 2004

Take action on this issue at: http://www.MarylandBears.com

http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/bal-md.sp.bears05feb05,0,7176811.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

  DNR plans for fall bear hunt released

    Official notice given though comment period not over; Foes 'read
    that as arrogance'

By Candus Thomson
Sun Staff

February 5, 2004

For the first time in 50 years, Maryland will have a hunting season for
black bears - a decision that has outraged animal-rights groups and
angered some state legislators.

Without fanfare, the Department of Natural Resources yesterday released
the specifics of a bear hunt, including the details in a list of dates
and bag limits for the 2004-2005 hunting season that were sent to
hunting and trapping groups in the state.

State officials have invited those groups to discuss the regulations
Feb. 20 over pizza and soda.

Though hunting groups were delighted, the decision was attacked by
animal-rights advocates and a group of 16 state lawmakers, who vow to
delay or prevent a bear season.

The opponents believed they had more time to marshal their forces
against a bear-hunting season. The comment period for the "bear
management plan" announced last fall, which is the framework for the
hunting regulations, has not yet expired.

"I read that as arrogance on the part of the department," said Del.
Barbara Frush, a Prince George's County Democrat. "It sends the message
that they don't care what the public thinks. This has been a done deal
since the Ehrlich administration took office."

The department does not need legislative approval to have a bear season
and enjoys the support of Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., who said he would
rely on its "science-based decision."

Frush and other animal-rights advocates expect a showdown Feb. 18 at a
hearing on a bill she sponsored that calls for a six-year moratorium
while additional bear population studies are conducted. The same bill
was rejected last year by the House Environmental Matters Committee.

The bear management plan was produced by the Black Bear Task Force,
formed by then-Gov. Parris N. Glendening. It was completed last year and
posted Jan. 13 on the DNR Web site for comment; the deadline is Feb. 13.

State officials said last summer that a bear season was part of their
long-range management plan. They delayed their decision until the task
force 10-year report was posted, but not before the public comment
period was over.

"That just illustrates clearly that DNR views this as a make-work
exercise, a rubber stamp," said Michael Markarian, president of the Fund
for Animals.

The Silver Spring-based group used its Web site to drum up opposition to
the task force report, resulting in more than 1,800 e-mails to the
department. "It is overwhelming that the people of Maryland do not want
a bear hunt," Markarian said.

Markarian said he believes that House committee members will view
Frush's bill in a different light this year, with a hunt just months away.

"Now, it is more of an imminent threat," he said. "We hope they see that
they are the last backstop."

Markarian said the group's lawyers are reviewing options, and if the
legislation fails, "We will definitely do anything we can to block the
bear hunt."

Hunting groups contend that the decision was made after 12 years of
study and public input.

"We are happy that the decision was made on solid scientific evidence,"
said Steve Huettner, president of the 16,000-member Maryland Sportsmen's
Association. "We put our faith in the biologists who are paid to study
this and make recommendations."

The lottery-style hunt is to take place one week in October and one week
in December in Garrett County and the portion of Allegany County west of
Cumberland. The season will end when 30 bears have been killed. Hunters
will have to check daily to ensure the limit has not been reached.

Maryland game officials estimate 400 bears live in the zone designated
for the hunt and about 100 bears live east of it.

"We don't have any intention of eradicating black bears," said Paul
Peditto, director of DNR's Wildlife and Heritage Service. "We know how
much the public enjoys seeing black bears, but we also know that the
population has to be managed."

Hunters will be allowed to use any weapon that is legal in deer hunting
season - modern firearms, muzzleloaders, handguns, bows and arrows and
crossbows. Hunting dogs are forbidden.

Bear carcasses must be brought to check stations so biologists can
collect data.

Peditto said he expects the application fee and the permit to cost less
than $30 each.

Western Maryland is surrounded by bear country, and Pennsylvania and
West Virginia permit hunting. Last season, Pennsylvania hunters killed
3,000 of the estimated 15,000 bears in the state, and West Virginia
hunters shot 1,654 of the state's estimated 12,000 bears.

In December, New Jersey held its first hunt in 33 years. The state
issued more than 5,500 permits for the six-day hunt, which resulted in
the killing of 328 of the estimated 3,200 bears in the northern and
western parts of the state.

Bear incidents in Maryland have increased in recent years. Last year, 27
bears were hit by vehicles in Western Maryland, while bear-related
agricultural damage claims increased from $10,000 in 1999 to $36,000 in
2001, Peditto said.

The state has a three-member Black Bear Response Team that answers calls
about nuisance bruins, and two Garrett County volunteers respond to
landowners' complaints and run bears off with trained dogs.

"They're doing great work, but we're getting to the point where the
calls come so frequently that we can't be two places at once," Peditto
said. "With deer management, we have proven our ability to craft a hunt
to deal with a population. We have the ability to craft an extremely
limited, highly monitored hunt for bears."

Copyright © 2004, The Baltimore Sun <http://www.sunspot.net>