AR-News: (US UT) Don't feed the deer, state officials say

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Sat Jan 31 19:58:01 EST 2004

State wildlife officials are urging people not to feed deer that have been
driven to lower elevations by heavy mountain snowfall.
Mark Hadley of the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources said some residents
may mistakenly believe that deer are starving and begin feeding them.
"We don't know how widespread it is, but we know it is happening," he said.
"People see this snow and they start to get concerned that the deer are
starving but they are actually doing very well."
Jim Karpowitz, big game coordinator for the DWR, said wildlife biologists are
monitoring deer herds around the state, he said.
"We're monitoring the situation closely and despite all of the snow, the deer
are doing all right," he said in a statement. "We'll continue to monitor the
herds throughout the winter and spring. If conditions become so severe that
deer need to be fed in certain areas of the state, we'll consider starting a
feeding program and let people know how they can help."

full story:
http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid
=13012&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

          /\  /\