AR-News: (US IL) Horse slaughter co. responds

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Wed Jan 21 09:05:37 EST 2004

Wednesday, January 21, 2004
It is interesting that a conservative news source would have a "news" article
supporting government intervention in a free enterprise ["Legislation
proposed to end horse slaughter in Illinois," January 19].
This law would be the first part in an attack on the meat industry in this
country. I am sure that the veal industry would be the next target, yet your
publication, by using the same old lies and misinformation promulgated by our
opposition, have sided with a groups that will say anything to make a point.
On the other hand Cavel International, Inc. could produce up to $15 million
in foreign trade revenue in agricultural industry in a state that needs such
business. Cavel is a USDA supervised facility recognized by many in the horse
industry as necessary. In fact, Cavel is supported by the Horsemen's Council of
Illinois, the Midwest Horse Show Association, the Illinois Standard Breeds
Association, and others.

full storya;
http://www.illinoisleader.com/letters/lettersview.asp?c=11529

          /\  /\
>' .' <

Male meat-eaters have a 50% chance of dying of a heart attack. Vegetarian men
have a 4% risk. US vegetarians have cholesterol levels 14% lower than
meat-eaters; vegans (those who don't consume meat or dairy products) have levels 35%
lower. JAMA, 1995;274:894