AR-News: [US] WHITE HOUSE WRESTLES REGULATORY CONTROL FROM AGENCIES

Andrew Gach unclewolf at olypen.com
Wed Jan 14 09:30:59 EST 2004

>From "The Spin of the Week" Jan. 14

WHITE HOUSE WRESTLES REGULATORY CONTROL FROM AGENCIES
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/emaf.nsf/Popup?ReadForm&db=stltoday%5Cnews%5Cstories.nsf&docid=189564E117AF585586256E17007E600A

"Under a new proposal, the White House would decide what and when
the public would be told about an outbreak of mad cow disease, an
anthrax release, a nuclear plant accident or any other crisis," the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

"The White House Office of Management and Budget is trying to gain final control  over    release of emergency declarations from the federal agencies responsible for
public health, safety and the environment. The OMB also wants to
manage scientific and technical evaluations ... of all major
government rules, plans, proposed regulations and pronouncements."

But former top agency officials and public interest groups oppose OMB's proposal, saying it "could damage the federal system for protecting public health and the environment."

John Graham heads the OMB's Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs. In December
2001, the Washington Post reported that Graham had asked top trade group lobbyists to  compile a list of the regulations that they found overly burdensome. "This was a secret campaign to circumvent the process," an unnamed lobbyists told the Post. "With Graham in that job, we figured we could get whatever we want." Before joining the White House, Graham ran the industry-funded Harvard Center for Risk Analysis.

SOURCE: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, January 11, 2004
More web links related to this story are available at:
   http://www.prwatch.org/spin/January_2004.html#1073797201

Daily updates and news from past weeks can be found at the
Spin of the Day" section of the PR Watch website:
http://www.prwatch.org/spin/index.html

Archives of our quarterly publication, PR Watch, are at:
http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues

PR Watch, Spin of the Day and the Weekly Spin are projects
of the Center for Media & Democracy, a nonprofit organization
that offers investigative reporting on the public relations
industry. We help the public recognize manipulative and
misleading PR practices by exposing the activities of
secretive, little-known propaganda-for-hire firms that
work to control political debates and public opinion.
Please send any questions or suggestions about our
publications to:
editor at prwatch.org