AR-News: (US TN) Like battered fighter, cattle industry totters

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Sun Jan 11 06:00:53 EST 2004

Mad Cow Scare
By Jane Roberts
Contact
January 11, 2004
It was no party at the Somerville livestock auction Tuesday.
Sales were down by half as the restless new year's crowd waited for a sign -
any hint that a single mad cow case in Washington state won't knock the bottom
out of the beef industry.
Wayne Thomas, a Hickory Withe, Tenn., producer waiting to sell 100 calves - a
third of his annual production - is suddenly the face of every American
cattleman.
"I planned to sell as quickly as I could after the first of the year. I'm
holding now and watching this market."

full story:
http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/business/article/0,1426,MCA_440_2565147,00.html
My choice for fashion: compassion ... They need it more than we do."
          /\  /\