AR-News: (US) In Defense of Local Control

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 00:22:29 EST 2004

ear the end of their legislative session in mid-December, Pennsylvania
lawmakers voted in favor of a bill about crime and the motor vehicle code. But that
bill also carried an unexpected provision: a law that would have prevented
municipalities from having any control over local factory farms and their manure
disposal. On New Year's Eve, Pennsylvania got a gift. Gov. Edward Rendell
vetoed the bill, arguing that the state needed to address the question of manure
disposal — euphemistically called "nutrient management" — in a more coherent
manner than in a last-minute vote on a last-minute insertion into an unrelated
bill.

full story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/07/opinion/07WED3.html?ex=1074056400&en=84b88bf
c9a27c1a2&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE
My choice for fashion: compassion ... They need it more than we do."
          /\  /\