AR-News: DNA tests confirm mad-cow Holstein came from Canada, U.S. officials say

jim robertson wolfcrest at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:25:30 EST 2004

DNA tests confirm mad-cow Holstein came from Canada, U.S. officials say

By Warren King
Seattle Times staff reporter

DNA testing in Canada and the United States confirms that a cow diagnosed
with the first case of Mad Cow disease in the U.S. was born in Alberta,
Canada, agriculture officials said today.
Dr. Ron DeHaven, chief veterinarian with the U.S. Department of Agriculture,
said in a news briefing that the testing verifies "with a high degree of
certainty" that the dairy cow from Mabton, near Yakima, was born in Alberta.

The finding will help move forward an investigation of the source of
infection of the animal.

Scientists are focusing on the strong possibility that cattle feed contained
agents of the disease, bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), in animal
parts used as a protein source before such practice was banned by both
countries.

"It's important we recognize the DNA testing is but one step ... as we
continue all avenues of the investigtaion," said Dr. Brian Evans, chief
veterinarian of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, who appeared jointly in
the briefing with DeHaven.

Copyright © 2004 The Seattle Times Company

“The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.”
- Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man

“Religious tradition is one of abuse of animals...If we cling to the notion
that we are somehow better than our fellow animals we will continually
engage in behavior which is destructive to them and consequently to us as
fellow inhabitants of the ecosystem called earth.”
- Robin Murray O’Hair,  American Atheist magazine, October, 1988