AR-News: TUFTS KILLS DOGS : NEAVS VOWS TO CONTINUE EFFORTS

NEAVS info at neavs.org
Sat Jan 3 14:49:44 EST 2004

STATEMENT OF THE

NEW ENGLAND ANTI-VIVISECTION SOCIETY

REGARDING KILLING OF DOGS BY TUFTS

(Boston, MA) The New England Anti-Vivisection Society (NEAVS) is deeply saddened that the 6 dogs killed on New Year's Day at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine will never have the opportunity to experience life as anything other than objects of research.  People were willing and waiting to give them good homes.

NEAVS' statement reflects not only our anger and grief over this killing but also our assessment of what gains were, nevertheless, made and our promise of continued commitment to efforts at Tufts.

The success of this campaign is not lost in the needless killing of these dogs, as hard as that loss is. Rather, there is a second tier to this campaign that is a victory for students and animals in labs everywhere.

The secrecy that covers what is done to animals in labs on the Tufts campus, as well as at campuses and research institutions nation-wide, has once again been penetrated. Students found their courage and their voice. They took the risk to counter attempts to silence them. They made certain that the community at large had the opportunity to let Tufts know how it felt about this kind of research. This community, including caring scientific people, weighed in with an emphatic NO.

While the internal dialogue Tufts offered its students proved futile to resolution, the message from New England, the nation and even other countries, let Tufts know that we all expect more from an institution founded on principles of humane veterinary education, practice and research.

Although Tufts wielded its power and killed the dogs, its actions were witnessed and condemned as unacceptable. In the end, Tufts' decision caused not just a loss of innocent life, but a loss of its own reputation as well.

Given the voice of its founder, Dr. Jean Mayer, who denounced dog experiments early in his career in favor of alternative methodologies; given the work of former Dean Franklin Loew, who was committed to bringing the issue of animal research to public debate; and given the wishes of its students, both past and present, the current administration has much to consider in setting the future course for Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine.

If Tufts wishes to become a world center for biomedical research, then it must listen to its community, which is saying loudly and clearly: Tufts must not do the kind of research that is practiced by status quo institutions everywhere. Tufts, to maintain its former reputation and good will, must not participate in research that causes suffering and death for millions of animals each year.

Tufts must be willing to lead by making certain that science is no longer synonymous with animal suffering and death.

What we ask is scientifically do-able and ethically imperative. If Tufts is, in fact, a healing institution for animals that go through its front doors, then it must not be an institution that brings animals through its back doors for such egregious experiments as this bone-breaking study.

Instead, we are asking that Tufts commit its ample biomedical research dollars, interest and faculty to non-invasive, non-lethal clinical research and to research using or developing alternatives to the use of living, feeling animals. We are asking that Tufts uphold its reputation as the ethical signature school of veterinary medicine.

To that end, NEAVS will continue our campaign and remain available and supportive to all current and future students, technicians, faculty and administrators who are courageous and visionary enough to pursue this noble goal and need our help in doing so.

01/02/03

New England Anti-Vivisection Society (NEAVS)

Boston, MA