AR-News: (US-ma) Research dog killed despite uproar

Animalconcerns info at animalconcerns.org
Sat Jan 3 14:45:01 EST 2004

BOSTON -- Five Tufts research dogs were destroyed on New Year's Day and
their leg bones removed for a controversial study, dashing the hopes of
students who had mounted a last-ditch effort to save them.

"I'm kind of in shock here," said activist Tara Turner, a graduate student
at Tufts' veterinary school. "I'm sad that (Tufts) didn't take this
opportunity to move forward in a more humane manner."

The animals were put to death after a months-long study at Tufts
University School of Veterinary Medicine, which aimed to find better ways
to heal dogs' broken legs.
Activists had asked researchers to use high-tech bone scanners to achieve
the same data without killing the dogs, but Donato said the university
determined the suggestions were "not superior."

full story:
http://www.milforddailynews.com/news/local_regional/researchdogs01032004.htm

Your Portal to Animal Concerns Forum (discussion board), More News
Headlines, AR-News on the Web, Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, and
Organizations! Try searching for the news item on Animalconcerns!
http://www.animalconcerns.org/