AR-News: (US-ca) Stores with tainted beef won't be identified, federal officials say

Animalconcerns info at animalconcerns.org
Sat Jan 3 14:06:46 EST 2004

[from Contra Costa Times]

Federal officials said Friday they will not tell consumers which
California stores sold beef from a cow infected with mad cow disease.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture had announced some of the beef, which
officials say poses little human risk, had been shipped from the Pacific
Northwest to California.

Officials have not said what part of the state received the meat, or which
stores sold it.

"If (consumers) have concerns about the product, they should contact their
market," said Matt Baun, a spokesman for the Agriculture Department.
Baun deferred further questions to Verns Moses Lake Meats in Washington
state, where the infected cow was slaughtered.

A woman who answered the phone there declined to respond to questions.

"We don't know where the beef went when it left our plant," said the
woman, who did not give her name.

full story:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/7625565.htm

Your Portal to Animal Concerns Forum (discussion board), More News
Headlines, AR-News on the Web, Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, and
Organizations! Try searching for the news item on Animalconcerns!
http://www.animalconcerns.org/