AR-News: Louisiana plans retirement home for chimps

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Sat Jan 3 12:05:45 EST 2004

SHREVEPORT, La. (AP) -- Over-the-hill chimpanzees will soon spend their
retirement years in a Louisiana old folks home.

Construction has begun on Chimp Haven, planned as the country's only preserve
dedicated to chimps who have been retired as entertainers or as subjects of
laboratory research. Up to 300 chimps will find themselves on 200 acres of
grass and woods for foraging, climbing and monkeying around.

"A lot of young adult chimpanzees have been born in captivity, and a huge
number have never walked on grass, climbed a tree or poked a stick in the mud,"
said Linda Brent, a behavioral primatologist and Chimp Haven's president. "They
haven't had the stimulation they need to grow socially, and that will be part
of what they'll need to learn at Chimp Haven."

full story:

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2004/01/03/news_living/local/63a82a19
11ea26ea86256e1000180fb9.txt

My choice for fashion: compassion ... They need it more than we do."
          /\  /\