AR-News: CKE Restaurants Tout 'Low-Carb' Burger

jim robertson wolfcrest at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 18:04:13 EST 2003

CKE Restaurants Tout 'Low-Carb' Burger
Wed Dec 17, 3:00 AM ET  Add Business - AP to My Yahoo!

By JIM SUHR, AP Business Writer

ST. LOUIS - Hardee's and Carl's Jr. fast-food chains consider it thinking
outside the bun — capitalizing on America's low-carbohydrate craze, they're
launching a bunless, lettuce-wrapped burger with just a handful of carbs.

Related Links
• Photo: Low Carb Burger (newscom.com)

CKE Restaurants Inc., the chains' parent, has unveiled the new menu item as
Americans look to lop off carbs, in everything from beer to ketchup. Not
coincidentally, the rollout precedes Americans' traditional New Year effort
to lose weight.

But dietitians are weighing in, warning that whether it's the Hardee's
low-carb Thickburger, with a third of a pound of beef, or its Carl's Jr.
low-carb, half-pound Six Dollar Burger cousin, consumers should chew on
this: it's still high in fat and calories.

"We know healthwise a certain amount of fat is essential, but consuming a
greater percentage of your calories from fat is not a healthy approach,"
said Connie Diekman, chief of university nutrition at St. Louis' Washington
University. "Just culling out some calories and putting in more fat isn't
going to get you there. In terms of healthy eating, this is not a healthy
direction."

The low-carb burger, she said, "is a great gimmick but not a great change in
eating behavior."

Caroline Leakan, a spokeswoman for Carpinteria, Calif.-based CKE, suggested
the low-carb burgers have their place in a lifestyle that also includes
regular exercise and a balanced diet.

"In many respects, our food is an indulgence," she said. "For some, a
low-carb plan is just what they need to kick-start their diet. We're
offering them a choice."

For the record, the low-carb Thickburger has about 420 calories, 32 grams of
fat and 5 grams of carbs, compared with its original's 850 calories and 57
fat grams. The low-carb Six Dollar Burger has 490 calories, 37 grams of fat
and 6 grams of carbs. The regular? About 960 calories, 62 fat grams and 61
carbohydrate grams.

Low-carb, high-protein diets have enjoyed a resurgence, with books such as
"Atkins for Life" reversing decades of dietary advice and saying the way to
lose weight is to cut out carbs in favor of high-protein diets.

Prices of both burgers will be identical to their conventional, same-sized
mates.

___

On the Net (news - web sites):

CKE Enterprises, http://www.ckr.com

Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine, http://atkinscenter.com

Agriculture Department, http://www.usda.gov

In fact, if one person is unkind to an animal it is considered to be
cruelty, but where a lot of people are unkind to animals, especially in the
name of commerce, the cruelty is condoned and, once large sums of money are
at stake, will be defended to the last by otherwise intelligent people.
-- Ruth Harrison, author of Animal Machines