AR-News: (NZ) SPCA Condemns Weak New Rodeo Code

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Sun Dec 7 19:35:26 EST 2003

Monday, 8 December 2003, 10:17 am
Press Release: RNZSPCA
ROYAL NEW ZEALAND SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS
SPCA CONDEMNS WEAK NEW RODEO CODE
New Zealand's leading animal welfare organisation is dismayed at serious
weaknesses in the new welfare code for rodeo animals, announced today.
The Royal New Zealand SPCA describes the code as simply rubber-stamping the
continuance of rodeos without addressing key animal welfare concerns, including
practices which result in pain, fear and distress.
"An important opportunity has been missed to ban rodeos entirely or, at the
very least, to ban those rodeo events resulting in blatant cruelty. We are
dismayed that our submission to NAWAC has been largely ignored," says Peter
Blomkamp, Chief Executive of the Royal New Zealand SPCA.

full story:

http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/CU0312/S00043.htm

"Until we have the courage to recognize cruelty for what it is, whether its
victim is human or animal, we cannot expect things to be much better in this
world, we cannot have peace among men whose hearts delight in killing any living
creature.  By every act that glorifies or even tolerates such moronic delight
in killing we set back the progress of humanity." Rachel Carson