AR-News: (AK) Fortymile caribou hunt near Fairbanks postponed

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Sat Nov 29 23:22:46 EST 2003

By Associated Press
FAIRBANKS
The winter hunt for the Fortymile Caribou Herd has been postponed.
The hunt was set to open Monday, but state wildlife biologists said they
feared escalating numbers of caribou near Steese Highway would result in hunters
killing too many of the animals.
Biologists haven't been able to track the herd for nearly two weeks because
bad weather has prevented flying. When biologists last flew over the herd, they
found about one-quarter of the 45,000-animal herd in the vicinity of Birch
Creek, only 10 to 15 miles from the highway. They don't know how close to the
road those caribou may be now.
"We have to take the conservative approach until we can get a better handle
on the situation to make sure we don't overharvest the herd," biologist Jeff
Gross told the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.
The quota for the winter hunt is 302 animals, which is split almost evenly
between the Steese Highway hunt in Unit 25C and the Taylor Highway hunt in Unit
20E, as well as Units 20B and 20D. The season is still open in those units.
Biologists said the Steese Highway closure is only temporary and hunters will
get a shot at caribou in Unit 25C. As soon as weather allows, biologists will
track the herd's location and movement to determine when the season can be
opened.

full story:
http://www.news-miner.com/Stories/0,1413,113~26794~1799069,00.html

"To cherish what remains of the Earth and to foster its renewal is our only
legitimate hope of survival." -Wendell Berry