AR-News: (PA) Service dog helps 4-year-old autistic child

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 06:09:30 EST 2003

MARKLEYSBURG - Sara Mitchell was accustomed to receiving glares and snide
remarks from people who thought her 4-year-old son, Lucas, was misbehaving. It
happened in the grocery store, the mall, or wherever they went.

What others don't know is Lucas is autistic.

"If we put a toy in the cart, Lucas would grab for it and scream," Mitchell
said. "He thought because we put it down in that cart that we weren't going to
buy it for him. Because he's nonverbal and was screaming, people thought it
was just bad behavior. People would tell us to control our son. We felt like we
would have to defend Lucas' actions, or thought we should just stay at home or
not take Lucas with us."

Thanks to a new best friend named Teagin, Lucas' life has changed
dramatically. The trips to the grocery store or the mall won't be so traumatic.

full story:
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10524678&BRD=2280&PAG=461&d
ept_id=480247&rfi=6

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way
it's animals are treated." ...Mahatma Gandhi