AR-News: fwd [UK] Cambridge Uni phone/email blockade for Wednesday & Thursday

Campaign for the Abolition of Angling pisces at pisces.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 03:39:08 EST 2003

SPEAC Action Alert - Email & Phone blockade on Wednesday & Thursday.

Over the last few weeks there have been a number of news stories on
how Cambridge University is worried about funding for it's
controversial proposal to build primate abusing laboratories. Despite
misleading headlines, this does not mean that the labs are not going
to be built.

The real subtext of these stories is that the University is running
to the Government and co-funders of the laboratories such as the
Wellcome Trust to beg for more money. The main reason why is the
storm of publicity animal rights activists have kicked up over the
issue.

Demos, leafletting and numerous actions against the university and
it's constituent bodies such as the colleges, have shown that the
animal rights movement is taking the campaign to prevent the labs
from being built very seriously. They had completely underestimated
our ability and desire to fight this battle.

The result is they are looking at vastly increased costs just on
security. They realise that we will keep coming back until we get our
way. It will be wasted money as we will stop these labs from ever
being built - without question. The pressure is on and will not be
lifted.

As ever, we encourage people to get down to Cambridge and make their
voices heard. There have already been many inspiring and innovative
demos (see www.primateprison.org), but more are needed. Everyone in
the university needs to hear about the scandal of the labs and made
to realise that they cannot hide from the impact of the protests.
Cambridge University's name needs to be dirt by the time we are
finished with them.

For those who cannot make it, please take part in the forthcoming
phone blockades. Below are the contact details for the Research
Services Division of the University. These are the backroom men and
women who help turn the University research into profitable
businesses, and bring in outside sponsorship for research. They form
an important source of funding of they university. You can be sure
that they the will have been helping draw up the plans for the
primate prison.

On Wednesday (19th) and Thursday (20th) we need everyone to take part
in a phone/fax blockade of the Research Services Division. In the
meantime get emailing and writing to make sure they get the message.
We've arranged them in order of importance, so work out what you can
afford and work your way down the list. At the end we've the emails
of a good number of the other people in the division just so the do
not feel left out either....

This will be a regular event, so get those coins and phone cards
ready for next week's actions!

(ps: our email list has corrupted. We are rebuilding it at the moment
but if you find yourself left of it, please email
info at primateprison.org directly.)

Research Services Division
16 Mill Lane, Cambridge, CB2 1SB
Tel: 01223 333 543; Fax: 01223 332 988
Email: enquiries at rsd.cam.ac.uk

Dr David Secher - Director of Research Services
Tel: 01223 766 964; Email: david.secher at rsd.cam.ac.uk

Dr Richard Jennings - Director of Research Policy
Tel: 01223 765 008; Email: richard.jennings at rsd.cam.ac.uk

Simon Jones - Head of Research Collaboration
Tel: 01223 765213; Email: simon.jones at rsd.cam.ac.uk

Anthony Peake - Manager of Research Finance Group
Tel: 01223 766362; Email: anthony.peake at rsd.cam.ac.uk

Helen Jackson - Head of Legal Group
Tel: 01223 766 780; Email: helen.jackson at rsd.cam.ac.uk

Dr Geraldine Rodger - Biotechnology Manager
Tel: 01223 765 145; geraldine.rodgers at rsd.cam.ac.uk

List of all emails in the Research Services Division
david.secher at rsd.cam.ac.uk, richard.jennings at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
simon.jones at rsd.cam.ac.uk, anthony.peake at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
helen.jackson at rsd.cam.ac.uk, geraldine.rodgers at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
margaret.perry at rsd.cam.ac.uk, caroline.baldwin at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
nick.slaymaker at rsd.cam.ac.uk, monique.carew at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
suzanne.warren at rsd.cam.ac.uk, michelle.hild at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
renae.fullard at rsd.cam.ac.uk, ruth.griffiths at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
alison.mcghee at rsd.cam.ac.uk, anne.sayer at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
mark.goulding at rsd.cam.ac.uk, rosemary.boyle at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
martin.hunt at rsd.cam.ac.uk, fauzia.farooq at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
dawn.barker at rsd.cam.ac.uk, jenny.hyams at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
karen.hewitt at rsd.cam.ac.uk, jenny.walsham at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
lauren.ryan at rsd.cam.ac.uk, anne.dobree at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
helen.atkinson at rsd.cam.ac.uk, barry.thompson at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
anne.blackwood at rsd.cam.ac.uk, peter.austen at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
kamlesh.chauhan at rsd.cam.ac.uk, annie.grant at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
malcolm.grimshaw at rsd.cam.ac.uk, robert.mann at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
clara.ovenston at rsd.cam.ac.uk, bronwyn.watson at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
gail.diver at rsd.cam.ac.uk, keong.wee at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
paul.seabright at rsd.cam.ac.uk, sarah.parker at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
debbie.ford at rsd.cam.ac.uk,  margaret.wilkinson at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
ted.krawec at rsd.cam.ac.uk, julie.taylor at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
adjoa.tamakloe at rsd.cam.ac.uk, amanda.breen at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
katherine.edwards at rsd.cam.ac.uk, miranda.weston-smith at rsd.cam.ac.uk,
jason.benstead at rsd.cam.ac.uk

For more details on Stop Primate Experiments At Cambridge contact
PO Box 6712, Northampton, NN2 6XR, United Kingdom
Email: info at primateprison.org
Web: www.primateprison.org
Tel: +44 (0)845 330 7985
The information in this email is for the purpose of legal protest
only; SPEAC does not encourage any illegal activities.