AR-News: (WY) Intermountain outdoors roundup

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 20:03:49 EST 2003

http://www.trib.com/AP/wire_detail.php?wire_num=324618

UNDATED: its preservation.
---
Fish and Game land open to hunters for pheasants, quail, big game and more
AP Photo pursuing
By ROGER PHILLIPS
The Idaho Statesman
BOISE, Idaho (AP) - When Leo Gilbride of Caldwell and Tyke Trogdon of
Meridian decided to hunt pheasants this fall, their choices were limited.
Neither man had access to private land, and they didn't want to spend a bunch
of money at a high-priced shooting preserve.
So they visited Idaho Department of Fish and Game's Montour Wildlife
Management Area, which is periodically stocked with pheasants throughout the hunting
season.
Like thousands of other hunters in Southwest Idaho, they chose a WMA because
F&G lands are among the few remaining places where a person can spend a day
hunting pheasants.
''This is a place they're releasing some, so you have a chance,'' Trogdon
said.
WMAs continue to grow in popularity with hunters seeking an easily accessible
day in the field for bird hunting.
But the popularity of WMAs is causing management challenges for F&G and could
soon force the agency to restrict one of things that makes them so popular -
their accessibility.
''I think it's inevitable at some point,'' said Clair Kofoed, manager of the
Fort Boise WMA near Parma.
Last year, about 5,000 hunters statewide bought special WMA permits, up from
4,200 from 2001. Permits allow hunters to shoot stocked pheasants. Permit
sales don't match the total number of hunters using the area because only pheasant
hunters have to buy them.
With developed lands, posted lands and private leases becoming more common in
Southwest Idaho, WMAs are one of the last refuges for hunters.
''They are really the only place you can go hunting at all because so many of
the farmers and ranchers are reluctant to let anyone on their property,''
said Marvin Orwig, a wildlife technician who plants pheasants at the Montour and
Payette WMAs.
People like having a place to hunt, but they also have to share a limited
amount of ground with a growing number of hunters.
''Most of them I've talked to seem very positive about what we're doing,''
Orwig said. ''Too many people is the number one complaint.''
In his 18 years at the Fort Boise WMA, Kofoed has seen the increase in
hunters mirror the growth in the Treasure Valley.
For the last two years, Fort Boise has had more hunters and hunter days than
any other WMA in the state. C.J. Strike WMA near Bruneau ranked second, and
Montour between Emmett and Horseshoe Bend was fourth out of the nine WMAs in
Idaho where pheasants are stocked.
''The WMAs are definitely overcrowded to the point of almost being unsafe,''
Trogdon said after he hunted at Montour recently. ''I have only hunted the
one, but I'm sure that they are all about the same.''
F&G state habitat manager Jeff Gould estimates that within five years, F&G
will have to limit public access at Fort Boise.
How and exactly when F&G will limit hunters remains to be seen, as does what
effect it might have on other WMAs.
''We're trying to get that information from the public as to when the
situation is intolerable,'' Kofoed said.
F&G has surveyed WMA users in the past, but they send the department
conflicting messages. Kofoed said the majority of hunters at Fort Boise said the area
was too crowded, but they didn't want to see restrictions on access that would
decrease crowding.
Hunters also are seeking different experiences at WMAs, Gould and Kofoed
said.
''Everybody has a different style of hunting, and it's impossible to please
every style,'' Gould said.
Trogdon said he saw hunters shooting stocked pheasants as they flew away from
the stocking truck, which is a common complaint about the pheasant stocking
program.
''Some guys sit in their trucks and wait for Fish and Game to drive past them
before they get out to hunt, if you want to call it that,'' Trogdon said.
''I'm not sure what the one answer is to all this, but some restrictions somehow
need to be put in place.''
WMAs are also where many people learn the basics of hunting before seeking
other areas to hunt, so they are an important resource for beginners and a place
for F&G to attract new people to hunting.
But F&G cannot allow unlimited use of the areas if safety and quality are
threatened.
''When you have concentrated pressure, you have to make adjustments,'' Gould
said.
F&G operates six WMAs in Southwest Idaho. The areas provide wildlife habitat,
and opportunities for hunting, fishing and other recreation.
But they are also a challenge for the department to manage because they must
meet seemingly conflicting goals.
F&G attempts to provide access for hunting, maintain wildlife habitat, and
produce game and non-game animals on its WMAs.
''We manage these properties for their ecological values as well as the
public access values,'' Gould said. ''It's a constant balancing act.''
Pheasants are one example of that challenge. Statewide populations have been
declining for decades. Last year's harvest was a record low of 58,575
statewide, according to F&G statistics, down from a record high 757,200 in 1964.
Meanwhile, WMAs are accounting for a larger portion of the harvest. Last
year, about one in five pheasants shot in Idaho was on a WMA.
Fort Boise has a small population of wild pheasants that produce new birds
each year, but even during the best breeding conditions, hunting pressure far
exceeds the area's capability of producing wild birds.
Even with its pheasant stocking program, F&G can't meet the demand from
hunters.
Kofoed said 300 to 350 pheasants are stocked at Fort Boise each week. Each
stocking typically provides two to three days of hunting before the birds are
shot, driven off the property, or they hide in terrain too thick for the average
hunter to get them out.
If hunters aren't out on those few days, ''people are going to have a hard
time seeing a pheasant,'' Kofoed said.
Stocking more birds isn't an option because money isn't available, and the
area is already too crowded with hunters, he said.
WMAs are also managed to provide habitat for game and non-game animals. That
habitat, including marshes and thick brush thickets, isn't always compatible
with hunting. ''Our goal is not to manage them like a shooting preserve,''
Gould said.
WMAs don't come cheap
Southwest Idaho hunters like WMAs because they are near their homes, easy to
get to and they're a good deal.
A WMA permit costs $21.50 and allows a hunter to shoot six rooster pheasants.
F&G pays about $11 per pheasant, which means if hunters fill their permit,
they paid for one-sixth of the cost of those birds.
Last year, F&G stocked about 15,500 pheasants statewide, which cost about
$170,500.
F&G's revenue from the sale of WMA permits was a little more than $112,000.
The remaining money came from general license and tag revenues.
And the stocking program is only a fraction of the cost of managing WMAs.
Gould said it costs F&G about $800,000 to run its six WMAs in Southwest
Idaho, which includes operation and maintenance, employee salaries, pheasant
stocking, habitat improvement projects, lease payments to other agencies, and
payment to counties in lieu of taxes.
Those six WMAs total about 74,000 acres. By comparison, F&G is paying about
$116,000 this year to lease 107,000 acres of private land for hunting and
fishing under the new Access Yes program. That money also opened up about 240,000
acres of public land previously landlocked by private lands.
The two programs are meant to complement each other, not compete against each
other, according to F&G's Brad Compton, who heads the Access Yes program.
''Our WMAs are intensively managed to be able to handle a lot of folks,''
Compton said. ''Access Yes lands aren't going to offer pond development, pheasant
stocking, restroom facilities and other things we provide on WMAs.''
If current trends continue, F&G and hunters will face tough decisions about
WMAs. Too much hunting pressure could cause strain on the properties and the wil
dlife, and F&G is not likely buy any more WMA lands in the foreseeable
future.
''It takes a lot of money for acquisition, and our budget isn't that strong
right now,'' Gould said.
Ultimately, Gould said, F&G can't provide enough hunting land to satisfy
hunter demand.
''We own less than 1 percent of the land in Idaho,'' Gould said. ''There's no
way we can meet all the demand for hunting on our properties.''
---

"I would not enter on my list of friends the man who needlessly sets foot
upon a worm." - Cowper