AR-News: (Australia) Pet ownership makes rabies more dangerous than SARS in China

Animalara2003 at aol.com Animalara2003 at aol.com
Sat Nov 8 09:35:34 EST 2003

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s985122.htm

Growing pet ownership is leading to an explosion in the incidence of rabies
in China, making it a public health risk far more dangerous than SARS [Severe
Acute Respiratory Syndrome], state media said.
In southern Guangxi region alone, 312 people died from rabies in the first
nine months, an increase of 153 per cent from the same period a year earlier,
the Xinhua news agency reported.
Weak public awareness of the health risks involved in dog ownership combined
with low vaccination rates means China is sitting on a rabies time bomb, the
agency reports.
Last year, rabies killed 1,003 people nationwide, up from 854 the year
before.
By comparison, SARS, which caused mass panic when it erupted across China
earlier this year, killed 349.
-- AFP

"I would not enter on my list of friends the man who needlessly sets foot
upon a worm." - Cowper