AR-News: (TX) Bears seized in drug raid headed for Texas

WeArPetitions at aol.com WeArPetitions at aol.com
Mon Oct 27 11:09:31 EST 2003

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2182372

Associated Press
ARLINGTON, Wash. - Two black bears that were seized in a marijuana arrest at
the Canadian border are bound for a wildlife sanctuary in Texas.
Corky and Pumpkin are set to leave the Sarvey Wildlife Center on Wednesday to
join more than 600 creatures at the nonprofit Wild Animal Orphanage in San
Antonio, officials at Sarvey said.
"When we walk back to the pens after they're gone, it will be like our best
friends left. We'll miss them," Sarvey volunteer Jeff Guidry said. "Everybody
loves these bears."
The 7-year-old sows were sent to the wildlife center near this Snohomish
County town after U.S. Customs agents found 166 pounds of marijuana worth nearly
$500,000 in a trailer carrying the bears at the border crossing in Blaine on
Jan. 27.
Duane Christopher Bradley of Abbotsford, British Columbia, pleaded guilty in
July to conspiracy to distribute marijuana and was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in
prison.
He initially told investigators he was taking the bears to Hollywood for a
movie, than said he was taking the pot to Los Angeles to exchange for cash and
cocaine to take back to Canada, according to documents filed in U.S. District
Court.
When seized, the bears weighed 300 to 400 pounds, rather than the normal 200
to 300, because they had been fed whole turkeys. They couldn't climb, their
teeth and claws were broken and they rarely ventured outside their den at
Sarvey.
Now, after being switched to a diet of fruits, vegetables, berries and
breads, each has lost more than 100 pounds. Both have shiny coats and are energetic
and playful, Guidry said.
Officials believe both were raised by an animal dealer and are too accustomed
to humans to be released into the wild.
The Texas sanctuary was chosen partly to keep the two bears together, Guidry
said.
"Our biggest fear was that they would be sent back where they came from. We
were very excited to hear that they were going to the best place we can send
them," he said.
"They went through the abuse together and are bonded to each other," he said.
"When something is happening to one, the other gets very upset and tries to
defend. They're absolutely inseparable."

It can truly be said:  Men are the devils of the earth, and the animals are
the tormented souls. --Arthur Schopenhauer