AR-News: (TN) New Humane Society wants no-kill shelter

WeArPetitions at aol.com WeArPetitions at aol.com
Sun Oct 12 04:22:35 EDT 2003

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/blount/article/0,1406,KNS_367_2336340,00.html

By JOHN STILES, stiles at knews.com
October 12, 2003
Steve Phipps wants to hear barking in the beginning, and then he wants only
to hear a purr.
Phipps is president and founder of a newly organized Blount County Humane
Society. It is the beginning of what he hopes will become a no-kill refuge for
homeless animals, he said.
Phipps has been serving as executive director of AnimalWorks, headquartered
in Alcoa. The clinic provides spay/neuter services for homeless animals and
low-cost programs for pet owners short on cash. AnimalWorks also provides an
adoption system for homeless animals.
He says the organization has completed thousands of spay/neuters. AnimalWorks
opened in 2001.
Now, he says, he wants to move on to something bigger - a place for homeless
animals where they won't be euthanized.
The society will hold a kick-off informational meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday,
Oct. 16, at the Blount County Public Library.
"We want to fill it up (with supporters)," he said.
"I had this idea a long time ago,"he said. "Our first goal is to get 5,000
members."
Phipps said he wants other animal organizations to work with the humane
society. He said Robin Grainger of AnimalWorks and Jon Grubb of BlountCARE - two
existing animal welfare groups - "are members of our board."
He said he hopes others who enjoy associations with animals will attend the
meeting.
"I am not against hunters," he said. "That is, those who act responsibly."
He said he would like to see the day when a public shelter, where hundreds of
dogs and cats are killed, would not be needed. He'd like to see organizations
like the humane society take care of the animals.
Money is always a problem for such organizations, he said.
The first fund raising will request donations for the "Start to Bark"
campaign, followed by a sustained giving or "Purr Challenge" to keep it going
long-term. It will be called the Bark and Purr Club Challenge.
John Stiles, Blount County editor, may also be reached at 865-981-9101.